Ambient Weather is a renowned brand when it comes to the manufacturer of weather technology. Their products are known for having the best value for their prices.
They never cease in the production of highly efficient technology and that still holds true to this day with the launch of the Ambient Weather WS-2902C.
Read up on some reviews and relevant information about various weather technologies here.
At a reasonable price, this device is mainly about connectivity along with a variety of other helpful features. Here are some more details.
Want to have real-time weather updates right in the palm of your hands? Ambient Weather has got you covered. This little device can provide you with weather updates and other relevant and vital information regarding the current local weather.
It is equipped with the Osprey Sensor Array that is also used by the WS-2000 weather station. The sensor is noted for its accuracy in measuring the following kinds of weather-related quantitative data:
- Indoor Temperature from 14 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit with an accuracy of +/- 2 degrees.
- Outdoor Temperature from -40 to 149 degrees Fahrenheit with an accuracy of +/- 2 degrees.
- Indoor Relative Humidity from 10 to 99% with an accuracy of +/- 5%
- Outdoor Humidity from 10 to 99%
- Wind Speed from 0 to 100 mph
The built-in Osprey sensor array on the device connects to the control center through a 915MHz radio frequency and then connects to your router to be able to access the network of Ambient Weather, permitting real-time data exchange over the interconnection of networks.
From there, you control your information and decide whether to share it with others or keep it private. The data can then be viewed from your other devices connected to the same network, like your computer or smartphone.
You can also opt to receive notifications via text message or email about information of your choice, like wind speed, temperature, etc.
This is extremely helpful, especially for residents of a certain area where a particular weather aspect is unpredictable, and some natural calamities and weather phenomena are prevalent.
The control center works with popular OS assistants like Alexa, Google Home, and IFTTT. These AI programs, particularly the IFTTT, can use the same system alerts for controlling home lighting, thermostat, smart air conditioners, and other smart devices for the text and email notifications of Ambient Weather.
Once you gain access to the control center, you can enjoy these other features as well:
- Text Reports and Analysis in tabular presentation and can be exported as an Excel file.
- Graph presentations in a daily to the yearly time span
- Works with Real-time APIs for multiple app compatibilities and software versatility
- Secure private network
You can also be connected to a large database of weather information shared in real-time by 40,000 weather stations from around the world called Wunderground which also has a designated mobile application for both Apple and Android devices.
What is the difference between WS 2902A and WS 2902B?
Ambient Weather improved the best-selling WS-2902A in 2020. The WS-2902B update provided more sensor functionality, and the WS-2902C now has a redesigned, user-friendly display console layout that makes the wind information easier to interpret. The station now supports up to eight WH31 thermo-hygrometer sensors as well as WH31P probing thermometers.
The system can easily be expanded with one interior and one outdoor PM2.5 air quality sensor. The readings from these new sensors, however, do not appear on the console.
Instead, the console serves as a hub, connecting the sensors and displaying the data on AmbientWeather.net.
If you wish to add more sensors to your station and have the sensor values shown immediately on the console, consider our top pick, the Ambient Weather WS-2000.
Ambient Weather WS-2902C Specifications
- Product Name: Ambient Weather WS-2902C
- Product Description: Get real-time local weather data from wherever you are!
- Brand: Ambient Weather
- Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 4.5 x 0.75 in.
- Display: 3 x 6.75-inch color LCD
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11b/g/n
- Outdoor Sensors: Wind speed, wind direction, rainfall, temperature, humidity
- Indoor Sensors: Temperature, humidity, barometric pressure
- Indoor Temperature Range: 14 to 140 °F
- Indoor Temperature Accuracy: ± 2 °F
- Outdoor Temperature Sensor Range: -40 to 149 °F
- UV Range: 0 to 15
- Rain Range: 0 to 394 inches
Ambient Weather WS-2902C Features
The WS-2902C possesses the following features:
- Multiple sensors: Ambient Weather never disappoints when it comes to giving the best features for a justifiable price. If you’re looking for a reliable source of information regarding temperature, humidity, wind direction and speed, and precipitation, you can rely on the WS 2902C for accurate readings. Data about solar and UV radiation, dew point, wind chill, and heat index can also be provided by the device.
- Aesthetically appealing with an LCD: It does not look like a nuisance for the area where it is installed. The LCD has a color-coding to emphasize different details.
- Solar-powered: It functions well under optimal environmental conditions. It is only powered by lithium batteries at nighttime.
There are two main parts that make up this weather detection device from Ambient Weather: the outdoor sensor array and the separate screen where the data that is captured and processed is shown.
The unit sports a simple black and white color scheme, a rather uncommon choice for such a device. Units like this of other weather stations usually come in gray color.
The overall build still resembles that of conventional models.
Despite the unique aesthetic, it does not coincide with the durability. The unit is made of plastic material that costs less and is also relatively fragile.
In devices like these, durability should be a top priority since it will be exposed to varying wind speeds, rainfall, and temperature changes. Also, it is vulnerable to dust that is hard to clean. It’s almost as if the quality was compromised for the aesthetic appeal.
The dust can be rinsed away by rain, but if your area is not prone to regular rainfall, you will have to clean the device manually to remove the built-up dust and debris.
Setup and Installation
You are going to do some minor assembling with the WS-2902C. Most parts of the unit already come pre-assembled, but other parts need the aid of wrenches and screwdrivers. You also need to provide the batteries yourself.
The weather vane and anemometer will need to be screwed to the main sensor, while the rain collector can be slid and locked into place without the need for screws.
One problem we encountered with the latter is that it does not have a secure hold in its place, and there is a chance that it might be detached with strong force applied.
It uses two AA batteries that you need to buy separately since it does not come with the unit. You can also decide to tie the device to a metal pole using brackets if you have one in the area but then again, you’ll have to provide the brackets yourself.
Any additional tools you may need to securely situate the device are your call and your responsibility to provide.
When you’re done setting up the outdoor sensor device, the display panel is a much easier task. For this one, you’ll need AAA batteries if you do not want to have it constantly plugged in.
Otherwise, it comes with a power adapter that you can use to plug into an outlet. Switch it on and input your preferences for unit of measurement, and set the date and time.
You can then connect the device to your WiFi, access the Wunderground or Ambient Weather’s network, and connect it to your other smart devices if you want to.
The display is a bit of a drawback to the unit. It’s hard to view from different angles and the data shown on screen is limited only up to a certain extent because the technology used is a little outdated already.
You need to be somehow near to the base display to see it. If you try reading from a far distance, you can barely see anything.
On the bright side, though, because of its ability to sync with your smart devices and its connection to the Ambient Weather network, you can view the data remotely from your smartphone or computer that is also linked to the network.
This way, you do not have to go through the hassle of viewing the data directly from the poor-quality screen.
Despite the downsides in design and display, the WS-2902C compensates for its good performance in data gathering. For its price, it already does accurate readings of weather data that do not stray too far from the accuracy and precision of high-end and more expensive competitors.
Having both the outdoor sensors and indoor screen display placed at optimal locations helps a lot in obtaining more reliable and accurate weather information.
The fact that the WS-2902C can be connected to your home WiFi network already makes it stand out. It makes product usage much more convenient, and it rides with the trends in modern technology.
Ambient Weather has its own network data-sharing database that you can access using your smartphone and other devices.
In addition to that, the brand also has its mobile application and computer software where you can acquire more weather data.
You can also sync it with software assistant programs like Alexa, Google, and IFTTT to send you relevant notifications according to your preference.
This feature of the Ambient Weather device comes in handy for monitoring and predicting weather conditions in your area.
Furthermore, the added access to the Weather Underground network gives you a collective and more widespread coverage of weather reports from several other locations.
The price of the device depends on the marketplace. It can range from $130 to $170 – generally low prices for a device of this caliber, but as we mentioned above, it packs a lot of convenient features, like its versatility to connect with other smart devices.
There may be a bit of a compromise regarding the durability of the device build, which means a shorter lifespan for the unit.
The closest rival of the Ambient Weather WS-2902C is the AcuRite 01036M Wireless Weather Station. At the same price range, AcuRite beats Ambient Weather over the device’s durability since it uses a more sturdy material.
However, it does not have the versatile connectivity that Ambient Weather has and the solar and UV radiation sensor as well.
Pros and Cons of the Ambient Weather WS-2902C
The pros far outweigh the cons of the WS-2902C. It packs a lot of benefits for your weather data gathering needs, such as:
- Information Accuracy: The data acquired by the device is already good enough considering its price. It does not have a large margin of error, and there is only a slight difference in the readings compared to the high-end and more expensive models.
- Easy set-up and installation: We have laid out the basic steps you have to follow to set up the device and the display station. They are only simple tasks, and you do not need technical knowledge or professional help to get them done.
- Connectivity: Its ability to link with smart devices and program assistants like IFTTT, Alexa, and Google Assistant integration is already a bonus. Add that to exclusive access to the Ambient Weather and Weather Underground database, and you have two large sources of real-time weather data in your local area as well as other locations within their coverage.
The only major flaw of this model that may bother users is the low-quality LCD base screen that is hard to view from certain angles and distances. Nonetheless, at an optimal position, the display is clear and comprehensive.
Understanding Heat Index and Wind Chill
A home weather station is important if you want real-time local weather updates to schedule your outdoor activities at convenient times and under optimal weather conditions.
No one wants to take a walk in the park under extreme heat, heavy rainfall, or strong winds. There are weather parameters formulated to measure those.
The term “heat index” refers to the combined measurement of relative humidity and air temperature. It does not just mean the heat that comes from the sun but the overall heat that comes from the air itself along with the moisture present in it as well.
The humidity somehow affects the body’s natural response to the heat in the environment.
Wind chill refers to how much the wind cools a surface that it touches. It measures the cooling effect of the air.
Since the body adapts to the temperature in the environment to maintain equilibrium, the body will warm itself up to cope with the surrounding temperature. Under circumstances with extremely low wind chill, the body will produce more heat.
Still, when it reaches its maximum capacity, that’s when frostbite happens to the exposed skin or the body experiences hypothermia.
Where are Ambient Weather stations made?
The main headquarters of Ambient Weather station and manufacturing plant is in Arizona. The company is well-known for its expertise in providing weather monitoring solutions for homes, offices, industrial establishments, schools, recreational establishments, government use, and media broadcasting.
How do I connect to the Ambient Weather network?
- Connect the Ambient Weather device to your home WiFi network. Look for this icon . If it’s already on, that indicates that you have successfully connected the device to the WiFi.
- If the WiFi icon is off, press and hold the Rain and Alarm buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds and wait for the icon to light up.
- Temporarily turn off other possible interruptions to the network, like secondary network nodes that comprise the mesh network (if you own one) or VPNs.
- Install the mobile application of the AmbientTool console configuration on your smartphone. Use the following links depending on your operating system.
- Open the app on your mobile device. The connection of your mobile device to your WiFi network needs to be at a 2.4GHz band frequency.
- The Ambient Weather app has a start-up wizard that pops up upon initial setup. You can navigate through this with the help of the instructions stated in the user’s manual.
- Choose the Add Device option to add your unit to the network.
- Enter your WiFi password.
Low prices do not mean low quality. The Ambient Weather WS-2902C is proof of that. Without spending too much, you are still able to enjoy quality services and features.
Even with this low-cost model, Ambient Weather still lives up to its reputation of being a provider of high-end weather station instruments.
These devices are easy to find in online marketplaces, and many retailers sell them. The package already includes the essential parts and components of the entire device that you can assemble without much hassle.
A conventional weather station device with the essential features and of average quality usually costs around $100. The lowest price can go as low as $30 with very minimal features and reading capacity.
They are not difficult to maintain, and usually, they are also solar-powered and only use AA batteries on gloomy days and at nighttime. For those who are on a tight budget, this can be a good choice for you.
All the information obtained by these devices is centralized in the Wunderground database. This is the network where all kinds of weather data from several different locations are stored, processed, exchanged, and gathered.
Bottomline, the Ambient Weather WS-2902C WiFi Smart Weather Station is a wise choice for the average weather station device that does not cost a lot but still delivers top-notch performance.
Last update on 2022-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API