Use a Tortilla Press to Make Authentic Mexican Tortillas at Home
Authentic Mexican food is not only delicious, but easy and quick to make at home with the help of these homemade flour and corn tortilla recipes and a tortilla press. Store bought tortillas may be convenient, but homemade ones offer more flavor and fill the house with an authentic and comforting aroma that no pre-packaged tortilla ever could. They are well worth the little effort it takes to make them. Try these quick and simple to make tortilla recipes for a true taste of Mexico.
Authentic Mexican Flour Tortilla Recipe
Authentic homemade flour tortillas are simple to make with only five ingredients.
Ingredients for Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
Directions for Making Flour Tortillas
- In a bowl mix the flour, shortening, baking powder and salt. This is usually easiest if dome by hand. The final product should resemble a crumbly fine meal.
- Add the water little by little and mix until a firm, but workable dough is formed.
- Knead the dough on a flat surface until it is smooth.
- Divide the dough into about 12 equal pieces and form golf ball sized balls.
- Let them stand for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the tortilla press by covering each side with half of a large Ziploc bag.
- When the dough balls are ready, place one in the middle of the tortilla press and press it to form a flat round tortilla.
- To cook the tortillas, heat a griddle or thick pan and place the tortilla in it. Cook on both sides until they are golden brown.
This recipe makes about 12 flour tortillas.
Authentic Mexican Corn Tortilla Recipe
Those who prefer authentic corn tortillas should try this easy recipe.
Ingredients for Homemade Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups corn masa
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 1/4 cups hot water plus 2 to 3 more tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions for Making Corn Tortillas at Home
- In a bowl, mix the masa and the salt.
- In another bowl, mix the shortening and the 1 ¼ cups of hot water until the shortening melts.
- Mix the shortening mixture with the flour mixture with a fork or with the hands until it is a crumbly mixture.
- Add the remaining water a little at a time until a dough that sticks together forms.
- Follow steps 3 – 8 as laid out above for the flour tortillas.
This recipe makes about 10 – 12 corn tortillas.
These easy recipes for homemade corn and flour tortillas will turn any pre-packaged tortilla buyer into an authentic Mexican chef.