Experience the true taste of Mexico by making authentic homemade flour and corn tortillas in your very own kitchen. With the help of a tortilla press, you can easily create delicious, fresh tortillas that surpass store-bought alternatives in both flavor and aroma.
Follow these simple recipes for flour and corn tortillas to elevate your Mexican dishes to the next level.
Table of Contents
Authentic Mexican Flour Tortilla Recipe
Whip up a batch of homemade flour tortillas using just five ingredients. This recipe yields soft and flavorful tortillas perfect for tacos, burritos, and more.
Ingredients for Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
Directions for Making Flour Tortillas
- In a bowl, combine the flour, shortening, baking powder, and salt. Mix by hand until the mixture resembles a crumbly, fine meal.
- Gradually add the water, mixing until a firm but workable dough forms.
- On a flat surface, knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide the dough into approximately 12 equal pieces and shape each into a golf ball-sized ball. Allow the dough balls to rest for 30 minutes.
- Prepare the tortilla press by covering each side with half of a large Ziploc bag.
- When the dough balls are ready, place one in the center of the tortilla press and press down to form a flat, round tortilla.
- Heat a skillet or thick pan and cook the tortilla on both sides until golden brown.
This recipe makes about 12 flour tortillas.
Authentic Mexican Corn Tortilla Recipe
For those who prefer the taste and texture of corn tortillas, this simple recipe delivers mouthwatering results.
Ingredients for Homemade Corn Tortillas
- 2 cups corn masa
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 1/4 cups hot water plus 2 to 3 more tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Directions for Making Corn Tortillas at Home
- In a bowl, mix the masa and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the shortening and 1 ¼ cups of hot water until the shortening melts.
- Add the shortening mixture to the masa mixture and mix with a fork or your hands until crumbly.
- Gradually incorporate the remaining water until a cohesive dough forms.
- Follow steps 3 – 8 from the flour tortilla recipe above.
This recipe makes about 10 – 12 corn tortillas.
Armed with these easy-to-follow recipes for homemade corn and flour tortillas, you can transform your Mexican dishes and enjoy an authentic culinary experience. Say goodbye to store-bought tortillas and embrace the superior taste and aroma of freshly made tortillas. Happy cooking!