You can avoid the backbreaking process of uncoiling and winding up your garden hose for as low as $20. Simple, powder-coated metal choices to carts with hand cranks that can be pushed across a big lawn are all available as garden hose reels. They’re well worth the money, and they can help a hose last longer if it’s placed on the garage floor, where it’s more likely to crimp and leak. If you’re hooked on the concept, keep reading for suggestions for a variety of needs and outdoor areas.
Top garden hose reels
Yard Butler Garden Hose Reel
- HEAVY DUTY 12 gauge powder coated steel with extra bracing and patented design (US Patent #D462254) that prevents sagging, eliminates crimps, kinks and tangles and extends hose life
- MILLIONS OF UNITS SOLD Yard Butler is the original designer and manufacturer of this classic hose holder
- PRO TIP Easily holds 100 of 5/8” hose. To store even more hose more quickly, mount the caddy higher up on any wall or fencepost and use big easy loops
- NEW BRIGHT NEW COLORS AND DESIGNS for personalized yards and gardens
If you want something simple and economical that does the job, this garden hose reel is a good choice. This 12-gauge powder-coated steel reel, which costs $18 at the time of writing, has a sturdy double-screw mount and can carry up to 100 feet of normal 5/8-inch hose. Customers love it, with an average rating of 4.7 stars from over 3,900 reviewers—plus, in addition to the basic green pictured, it comes in three pastel springtime colors.
- Design that is mounted
- Does not work well for longer hoses
Birdrock Home Garden Hose Reel
- Hidden and Organized: keep your water hose neatly hidden after your done water your plants and flowers.
- Decorative Accent: adds an attractive yet functional touch to your backyard, patio, deck or back porch.
- Removable Center Post: helps guide the water hose when you are coiling and uncoiling. Post can also be removed to allow you to store other house hold items in the holder
- Lightweight & Sturdy: made from a solid steel making it lightweight, yet strong and sturdy to last for years to come.
- Holds water hoses up to 100ft long. Dimensions: 17.9"L x 17.9"W x 10.5”H. Weight: 7 LBS
If you have a small yard or can’t place one on the side of your house, this rustic garden hose reel is ideal. With an embossed metal diamond design and a bronze finish, it fulfills the utilitarian aim of keeping your space tidy while also looking lovely. The central post can be removed to make it easier to uncoil the hose, and there’s a hole on the side for snaking it through. It may appear little, but it can handle up to 100 feet of standard 5/8-inch hose.
Giraffe Retractable Garden Hose Reel
- [DURABLE ANY LENGTH LOCK] Giraffe hose reel is pre-installed with a 130ft hybrid hose, which can lock at any length as you desired, covers every corner of your garden.
- [STABLE AUTO REWIND SYSTEM] Give the hose a gentle tug, the hose reel will retract automatically back in. The unique retractable & guidance system can roll up the hose neatly without the trouble of kinking.
- [HIGH-GRID GARDEN HOSE]All weather flexible and abrasion-resistant hybrid hose ensures the hose reel leak-resistant and long-lasting. The 130ft 1/2-in. hose passed the 200PSI pressure test and the 600PSI bursting pressure test.
- [EASILY ASSEMBLE & DISASSEMBLE] Assemble the hose reel on the wall with just the 180-degree rotation bracket and some screws. With the quick-release system, you can also easily lift on the handle to remove the reel for storage.
- [LEADING SERVICE AWARENESS] Giraffe's in-house research & development team continuously works to provide creative and effective solutions for all your reeling needs.
This is the most costly option on our list, but the convenience of a retractable hose to save the hose—and your back—from kinking is hard to match. A 130-foot abrasion-resistant hybrid hose is coiled inside to prevent leaks, and the reel has nine spray settings and 180-degree rotation. The flexible hose can be adjusted in length and taken out of the bracket for storage.
- Mounting is simple
- It has a hose locking mechanism.
- A bit pricey
- For larger yards, a 130-foot hose may be insufficient.
Liberty Garden Guide Hose Reel
- Convenient hose guide easily rolls and unrolls your hose
- Holds up to 125-feet of 5/8-inch hose (hose not included)
- Made of cast aluminum with a powder coated finish, rust and hard water resistant
- Features a shelf ideal for frequently used garden tools and nozzles, 5-feet of leader hose
- Mounting hardware not included
Look no farther than this Liberty Garden choice for a stylish hose reel that truly stands out. It’s made of cast aluminum with a nickel powder-coated finish that protects it from rust and hard-water stains, and it has a lot of vintage appeal. It can carry up to 125 feet of standard 5/8-inch hose, with a guide loop in front to keep it from twisting while unrolling, as well as a big shelf on top for gardening gloves and tools. Its only flaw is that it does not include mounting hardware.
- The fixtures are made of non-rusting ornamental cast aluminum and have a weather-resistant powder coat finish.
- A shelf for garden equipment, nozzles, or 5 feet of leader hose is included.
- Perfect for locations when you can’t hide your reel but still want it to appear nice.
- When compared to other models, it’s more difficult to crank.
- There is no mounting hardware provided.
- I’d like to see a more long-lasting finish.
TomCare Garden Hose Reel
- Detachable Hose Holder: It is convenient to move and store if necessary. When you do not need to use the item, such as in Winter, you can disassemble it easily and store it without taking too much space.
- Freestanding & Stable: It has three anchor points, which give great support and ensure this hose holder stand firmly. Also, it can be placed anywhere and will keep your hose neat and ready to use right where you need it most.
- Heavy Duty & Durable: Made of tough metal, rustproof and thickened, ensuring durability and long last. This well made garden hose holder withstands a lot of weight, so it is sturdy enough to hold a large hose and stay upright.
- Elegant Design：It is very simple and elegant, which looks nice and attractive. And this hose hanger will keep the hose off the ground and out of the way, which helps extend hose life, also it helps keep your yard more cleaner and neater.
- Easy Installation & Warranty: This water hose holder doesn't require being mounted to the wall, just stick it in the ground easily by stepping down on the anchor points, and it is easy to relocate if you need to. We will provide 45 days Money Back Guarantee and 12 Months Warranty. Purchase with worry free!
This is an excellent choice for those who don’t want to drill holes in their house or take up patio space. The garden hose reel is made of rustproof metal and has a simple design. It has three sharp pegs to keep it in place in the ground, and the top piece detaches from the base if you wish to store the coiled hose in the garage. You have the option of matte silver or the black one pictured.
- Heavy duty
- Resists rust
- Easy to assemble
- Warranty period could’ve been longer
Suncast Hideaway Garden Hose Reel
- Built with space to store 225 feet of 5/8-inch standard vinyl hose
- Built-in crank makes for easy reeling with half the effort
- Smart Trak hose guide tracks hose neatly onto reel
- Sturdy resin construction to stay strong through outdoor weather
- Large storage bin provides place to store accessories
If you want to hide your garden hose, this durable box is the way to go. It’s made of resin and is designed to protect and accept standard 5/8-inch vinyl hoses up to 225 feet in length. The reel comes completely built and includes a guiding loop in front for tangle-free, hassle-free unrolling, as well as an accessory tray inside for garden gloves and small tools. It has received an average rating of 4.6 stars from over 175 reviewers.
- Base that swivels
- Simple to use
- It is delivered completely assembled.
- It’s a bit costly.
Suncast Garden Hose Reel
- OUTDOOR GARDEN HOSE REEL: Features a neutral taupe exterior for a stylish and functional addition to your yard
- CONVENIENT DESIGN: Provides easy and convenient storage of up to 200 feet of 5/8" Standard vinyl garden hose
- NO-LEAK DESIGN: Reinforced connections prevent leaks for drip-free operation
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: Sturdy resin construction is resistant to fading, durable, and easy to maintain
- IDEAL SIZE: Measures 18" x 21.75" x 19" to keep your yard organized without taking up too much space
Up to 200 feet of standard vinyl 5/8-inch hose can be handled by this wall-mounted option. The garden hose reel is made of durable resin and features reinforced connections to prevent leaks and a tiny shelf on top to carry gardening gloves or other items you don’t want to lose when working in the yard. It comes in a neutral taupe color and may be installed on the house’s side or within the garage.
Liberty Garden Multi-Directional Garden Hose Reel
- Holds 125-feet of 5/8-inch hose, (hose not included)
- 18 gauge steel construction with durable bronze powder coat finish for weather resistant use
- Pull-up knob for full 360 degree reel rotation for effortless un-winding, Storage tray for storing your frequently used tools and nozzles
- 90 degree solid brass swivel prevents hose damage, brass and galvanized fittings
- Fully assembled, just attach the handle, Mounting hardware not included
This is a good alternative if you want a stylish garden hose reel. The industrial reel is made of 18-gauge steel and is powder-coated in bronze to withstand the environment. It has a pull-up lever for 360-degree rotation and a robust brass swivel. A little wire basket is connected to the side of the bag for storing pocket goods. It can carry up to 125 feet of standard 5/8-inch hose and comes completely constructed, which is a plus, but it doesn’t come with any mounting hardware.
The sort of product you choose will be largely determined by a few things, including where you want to put the hose, your capacity to manage it on your own, and the amount of space you have available.
Hose Storage Boxes
Boxes with reels are generally the most user-friendly, particularly for longer, heavier hoses. They tend to have larger handles to make cranking easier, as well as guides to ensure the tubing is evenly placed along the reel.
Mounted on the wall
These reels can be as simple as robust, arching constructions over which the hose is looped, or they might include handles to facilitate winding up the hose for storage easier.
These work better with smaller, more flexible hoses and come in a range of colors and decorative choices.
A wheeled cart is the second choice for a hose reel holder. It provides the advantage of being able to relocate your hose reel to different locations fast and conveniently. Carts are ideal for customers who don’t want to leave their hoses outside because they can easily roll them inside a garage or barn with a wheeled holder. Because of their storage capacity, they are especially handy for a larger yard. Many carts may accommodate hose lengths of up to 400 feet, or more. Garden hose carts are preferred by professional landscapers and those who operate in plant nurseries and commercial gardens. Pneumatic tires on a good model make moving over somewhat difficult terrain simpler.
Retractable hose reels are a favorite of mine. They usually come with a hose, nozzle, and swivel mount of their own. Some models can even be taken with you. You pull the hose out to use it with a retractable water hose reel, and it automatically rewinds the hose back in without you needing to crank a lever or direct the garden hose. I wouldn’t use retractable hose reels for heavy-duty labor, but they’re ideal for light, fast tasks. The hoses are typically 85 feet long and low in weight.
Numerous reels come with a leader hose, which allows you to position the reel further away from the spigot and use the entire length of the hose for watering without it kinking. They might be as short as three feet long or as long as ten feet. Also, if you wish to drink from your hose, make sure that both your leader and your garden hoses are safe to drink from. In our separate garden hose roundup, we go through this in greater depth.
Most reels have a maximum hose size that they can accommodate. The smallest are usually 100 feet long, with larger metal reels holding up to 250 feet. Most people who buy reels, on the other hand, believe that these parameters are frequently inflated, and that the largest size a product claims it can accommodate may be a tight fit. You might want to keep that in mind and get a somewhat larger reel than you think you’ll need, especially if you have any arm strength issues that make rolling up those last few feet difficult.
One difference between hose reels is how they are wound up. Manual winding is often required on simpler devices, which is okay for small hoses but takes more time and effort for longer hoses. Swivel-base reels, on the other hand, rotate continuously either 180 degrees or 360 degrees, making it easier to wind up large hoses. Others use a simple crank-style handle to gather hose slack by turning a cylindrical wheel.
Several hose reels are designed to be installed on the side of a house, fence, or shed, while many are designed to be mounted on the side of a house, fence, or shed. There are, however, many portable choices available. This comprises cart-style devices that can be wheeled around and freestanding stakes that can be planted almost anywhere and moved around as needed.
Hose reels are designed to be mounted on the exterior of your house or positioned in your yard or garden. They aren’t part of your interior house decor, yet they must appear appealing to avoid becoming an eyesore. Hose reels that are fashionable and come in a range of colors and metal finishes can be used as accent pieces in your yard. Alternatively, you can go with one that has been designed in neutral colors and patterns to blend in with your surroundings.
The majority of garden hose reels are composed of plastic or metal (usually brass, cast aluminum or steel). Equipment or tools that spend a lot of time outside are prone to rust. It’s critical to purchase a reel with rust-resistant components; metal garden hose reels made of stainless steel or aluminum alloys are the finest options. There are also certain hose reels made of durable resin that will not rust. However, they are not as durable as a metal hose reel.
Garden hose reels, like any other lawn and garden goods, come in a variety of pricing ranges depending on their features and the materials they are made of. Consider the needs you’re trying to meet and the budget you have available before making a buy. To buy the greatest hose reel model in your price range, stretch your budget as far as possible.
Advantages of reels
Some homeowners may initially consider a hose reel to be a frivolous or needless purchase, yet there are several evident advantages to using one when watering your lawn or gardening.
- Reduced hose wear and tear, resulting in a longer lifespan
- Hose is protected from damage and leakage
- Prevents hose knotting or kinking
- Increases watering efficiency by reducing the time spent unwinding and winding your hose
- Increases safety by reducing the risk of falling such as tripping over hose
- Maintains an orderly and clutter-free appearance in the yard
A few simple maintenance tips throughout the season might help your hose reel last longer.
- Avoid cross-threading the garden hose when connecting it to a spigot or a leader hose. If you cross-thread, the brass threads of the hose coupler may cut plastic water-system threads, resulting in a persistent leak.
- Look for any broken O-rings. Check the owner’s handbook or the manufacturer’s website for the correct replacement size. Remove the reel from the hose, remove any bolts with a screwdriver, remove the shield, and then insert the new O-ring.
- By smearing degreaser on a paper or fabric towel and spreading it over the knob, shaft, bushings, or any other item, you can oil the bushings.
- Allow it to dry completely before applying a final coat of lubrication.
- Drain all of the water from your hose and reel and keep it indoors for the winter.
- Before storing the garden reel, most manufacturers recommend removing it, cleaning all of the parts, and spraying them with a finish-protecting clear coat.
- If you can’t bring it inside, make sure the reel is disconnected from the spigot, that all attachments and nozzles are removed, and that any remaining water is removed.
- Apply a little amount of silicone grease to the rubber gaskets at the start of each season. Replace any gaskets that have dried out or are missing.
- To avoid rust and keep your hose reel safe, I recommend thoroughly cleaning and painting it with transparent acrylic paint at the conclusion of each season.
Affordable versus expensive models
I don’t really like to buy low-cost gardening supplies and a hose reel is no different. Spending your money on low-cost tools rather than a high-quality, long-lasting product can only lead to aggravation down the line.
Lower-cost models will almost definitely be manufactured with weak materials and will break easily, especially in colder weather or after prolonged exposure to the sun’s harmful UV rays. An aluminum watering system is standard on most higher-end hose reels. Because they are stronger than cheaper plastic water systems, these aluminum systems are significantly better at preventing leaks. Accidental freezing will not cause cracking with aluminum systems.
How does a hydropower garden hose reel work?
Water pressure is used to smoothly retract the hose back onto the reel in the hydropower hose reel. Allow the water to flow through the hose while you flip/pull the lever, and the hose will automatically wind itself back up using a water-propulsion mechanism. The hose is evenly wound thanks to a built-in tracking guide. The hydropower processes cease when the hose is completely looped back up, and excess water is allowed to drain out of the hose.
How high should I mount my hose reel on the wall?
Between three and five feet off the ground is the optimal height for mounting a hose reel on an outside wall. The reel should be mounted above the hose spigot, near enough to provide the leader hose plenty of leeway to reach from the spigot to the water connector on the reel drum. For most users/homeowners, three to five feet off the ground is roughly waist to chest height, making it easy to handle and giving you enough power to reel the hose back up once you’re done watering or gardening.
How big should a hose reel be?
Consider how portable you want your garden hose and related reel to be when determining the size of hose reel you need. Most people choose to use a garden hose with a single length that can reach the entire yard and garden without having to move the hose reel. Determine the length of hose required for your yard, then seek for a hose reel that can handle a hose that is at least 50 feet longer than the one you are currently using. As a result, your hose can expand and contract in response to changes in temperature.
How to prevent garden hose tangling when rewinding it on the reel?
When rewinding a garden hose on the reel, the best approach to avoid tangling it is to wind it slowly while using your free hand to guide the house. If your reel doesn’t have a hose guide, use your free hand to pull the hose taut and coil it back and forth over the reel drum in even coils. Rewinding it carelessly with too much slack causes the hose to tangle, making it harder to untangle the next time you wish to use it.
Last update on 2021-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API