A 1080p screen will no longer suffice if you want to watch video on a screen greater than roughly 80 inches. You’ll need a big, pricey 4K setup for this. A projector screen is nearly always more practical than an LCD TV for outside watching, such as organizing your own backyard movie night.
We looked for the best inflatable movie screen on the market to assist you to set up as quickly and easily as possible to go along with the best outdoor projectors, and speakers. At the end of the day, we came up with five options, each of which is available in a variety of sizes and features.
5 best inflatable movie screens
1. KHOMO GEAR Jumbo 20-Feet Inflatable Outdoor and Indoor Theater Projector Screen
- Bigger Screen Size than Similar Products - The white Projection Screen Size is 13 feet by 8 feet with an aspect ratio of 16 9
- Front and back projection capabilities - stunning front & rear projection material accommodates placement of the projector behind or in front of the screen allowing for greater flexibility
- Less 5 minutes to setup - with the quietest and most powerful blower on the market - No screws or tools needed - everything is included inside the box
- Quick 5 minutes to store - unzip the zipper located in the black frame and in a few minutes it will deflate and be ready to get stored inside a convenient included storage bag - the black frame can be wiped clean with any cloth while the white screen is held on by Velcro and it's fully detachable and easy to clean
- Awesome outdoor movie theater - bring your family and friends together for a night of endless fun in your backyard great for tailgates and camping adventures
It takes less than five minutes to properly set up this inflatable outdoor movie screen. It comes with all of the blowers you’ll need to fill its massive 20-foot frame. This frame size gives you plenty of room to watch your favorite movies or television shows. However, keep in mind that the screen is closer to 15.5 feet diagonally.
The electric blower that comes with the screen is quiet, so you won’t be bothered when filling it with air. It’s quite hefty once it’s been filled. This means that even in high winds, you won’t have to worry about the screen flying away. To firmly secure the frame to the ground, it comes with various ropes and plastic pegs. There’s even a handy carrying pouch where you can put the accessories for easier organization.
The frame’s construction, on the other hand, is susceptible to physical harm. Make sure the screen is on a flat surface free of rocks or other sharp items that could penetrate the frame.
The screen is moderately bright and does not allow ambient light from the back to pass through. As a result, it’s an excellent outdoor movie screen for watching movies or TV shows during the day.
- It’s simple to set up and takedown
- Doesn’t have a chance of collapsing
- The fan that inflates is quite silent.
- Allows no ambient background light to pass through
- The frame isn’t very durable
- The viewing angle on the screen isn’t ideal
2. Open Air Cinema 16-Foot Outdoor Home Projector Screen
- Screen Size: 16' x 9' (4.9m x 2.7m). Aspect Ratio: Wide - 16:9. Audience Size: Grass: 250 / Chairs: 400 / Standing: 1000. Diagonal: 18.4' - 220" (5.6m)
- Projection Surface: matte-white, wrinkle-free, self-tensioning, blackout backdrop. Air Vents: Tight zippered, easy access for rapid deflation. From ground: 3'2" (96.5cm)
- Frame Dimension: 17.5' x 13' x 1.5' (5.3m x 3.9m x 46cm). Screen Weight: 25lbs (11.3kg). Blower: 1/2 HP. Shipping Weight: 42lbs (19kg). Inflate time:
- Included Items: Durable Twist Stakes, Cinch Straps, Screen Storage Bag. Wind rating: 20mph (audiences generally leave by this point). Warranty: 1 Year
- Includes: 10.5' x 8.3' inflatable movie screen frame; 123" diagonal, wide screen, matte white projection surface; Blackout backdrop (blocks light, improves contrast ratio); 8 cinch straps and clips; 4 twist-in stakes; 110v Air blower
You’ll be hard-pressed to find a larger inflatable projector screen than the Open Air Cinema screen if you’re seeking the biggest inflatable projector screen money can buy. The viewing area is a whopping 18.4 feet diagonally, with accurate 16 x 9-foot dimensions that fully match the normal 16:9 aspect ratio.
The build quality is superior to that of the majority of the projectors on our list. This screen is made of sturdy, oxford fabric and is built to withstand years of usage. The Open Air Cinema is built to survive for years, with enough strength to withstand multiple movie evenings and outdoor barbecues.
The quality of the accessories is also excellent. The blower will fill the frame in less than 20 seconds, hardly qualifying as a delay. It’s exceptionally quiet, even at that speed. You won’t find yourself getting distracted by a noisy air blower, even if your movie has a lot of quiet moments.
However, the Open Air Cinema is somewhat pricey. This screen is intended for serious enthusiasts who wish to use it repeatedly. If you’re only hosting a single event, you might want want to go for a lower-cost option.
This, on the other hand, is a top-tier screen with all of the features you require. It comes with robust metal stakes and a carrying bag. The full outfit is a little heavy at 42 pounds, but it’s still manageable.
- Extremely huge
- Assembly is simple and quick
- Design and accessories that are tough
- A blower that is whisper-quiet
3. Fitnessandfun Huge Inflatable Movie Screen
- UPGRADE Screen— There is no more seam in the middle of the projection screen,which will bring you a great viewing experience. If windy, use the strong ropes and ground nails to fix the screen tightly. We've also improved the rope and ground nails.
- REAR AND FRONT PROJECTION FOR VERSATILITY – think about all the events you could enjoy –View clearly from both front and back - Bridal Shower, gifts for your kids, watching the football, Dad’s birthday, camping, weddings, anniversary presents and parties. Cool gadgets like this will always be an absolute favorite once you set up the blu ray player, TV, dvd or ultra hd sound system perfect for all your Prime, New Release and Kids movies.
- GREAT Backyard Party Appliance - with huge 33ft viewing area made with the toughest triple strength 210DD Oxford fabric frame built to last. Beware of cheaper models made with parachute material that is very thin and lose shape easily.
- EFFORTLESSLY PORTABLE : this amazing, huge 33 feet outdoor movie screen comes with a convenient storage bag that allows you to carry your inflatable movie screen wherever you want. This portable projector screen is lightweight enough to take it with you in every relevant occasion for impressive projections.
- Simpleest setting up and great services —the screen is non detachable for convenient setting up, because the screen is very huge, if the screen is detachable it will add your installation job. If the product is lost or there are quality problems, we can send replacement for free. If you have any questions, you will receive a reply soon. Please rest assured to buy.
Fitnessandfun Huge Inflatable Movie Screen is the ultimate outdoor blow up projector screen for endless adventure and entertainment with family and friends. This device has an improved screen that provides flawless projection for a wonderful watching experience. The producer of this inflatable TV screen and projector assures that it comes with high-quality ground nails and rope. So all you have to do is fasten everything to ensure the 33-foot screen is securely fastened for uninterrupted viewing sessions.
If you define fun as adaptability, you’ll be pleased to know that the blow up projection screen provides a clear view from both the back and front. As a result, it is the coolest tool for making memories with your loved ones. Consider how many events you can attend together. It has no bounds! When compared to the cheaply accessible parachute materials inflatable projectors on the market today, this amazing backyard blow up movie screen is carefully built with the hardest Oxford fabric frame (triple 600D strength). Despite their size (33 feet), these inflatable outdoor screens come with a compact storage bag for simple relocation to a location of your choice. As a result, the device’s lightweight is amazing, particularly for fans of nomad inflatable theatre screens. To summarize, this video screen is quite large, providing you with a complete movie theater experience.
- There is no detachable screen to allow for easy setup of a large panel like this.
- The screen is substantially larger than the normal inflatable screen, making it an ideal choice for widescreen movies.
- It inflates and deflates quickly, saving you time.
- The massive screen folds neatly away in its storage bag.
- If the packaging has an excess fabric at the bottom, the screen may not extend tightly.
4. Gemmy Deluxe Airblown Movie Screen
- 123" X 70" Movie screen, 12' High by 11.5' Wide
- 144" Screen measure diagonally, 16: 9 aspect ratio, raised screen for better viewing
- Stakes, tethers, and storage bag included
- Self inflates in seconds, Includes 2 Built in fans
- Upgraded thick air blown fabric
One of the most well-known plastics and inflatables firms in the world produces the Gemmy Deluxe Airblown Movie Screen. It has a large sturdy frame that prevents it from tipping over and keeps it bottom-heavy for greater performance in windy conditions.
Let’s get one thing clear before we go any further. This is a low-cost movie screen.
While it operates admirably when everything is in working order, there have been reports of quality control concerns such as missing stitches, buckles, and other minor flaws. On arrival, we recommend properly inspecting and testing yours. Gemmy provides a two-year manufacturer’s warranty, which is among the finest in the inflatable movie screen business.
The Gemmy comes in several different sizes. They also offer screens that are 7.5, 14.25, 10.75, and 12.5 feet long, in addition to the 12-foot diagonal model we saw. The 10.75-foot Mickey Mouse-themed variant has enormous black mouse ears and a red base with gray buttons and is a Disney tie-in.
The Gemmy is one of the lightest and most portable inflatable movie screens available, as the entire package weighs only 20 pounds. It comes with both metal and plastic stakes, and we strongly advise you to use metal ones. The tie-downs also have carabiner-style clips that can be installed and withdrawn in a matter of seconds.
- Sturdy frame
- Design that is light in weight
- Exceptional guarantee
- Poor quality assurance
5. Tusy 14-Foot Inflatable Outdoor Movie Screen
- ✅16-FEET LARGE PROJECTOR SCREEN: surprisingly large screen size of 132" (W.) and 78" (H.), 16:9 aspect ratio, viewing angle of film to 160 degrees, is family entertainment and multiplayer essential items for entertainment.
- ✅CLEARER SCREEN: the screen uses a more delicate silk cloth, and the middle screen creates a strong contrast between the white and black frames, making your viewing experience more perfect, while the white screen is fixed by the Velcro and completely detachable.
- ✅STRONGER FRAME: Our frame is made of tougher oxford cloth, even if you use it on rougher ground, the black frame can be wiped clean with any cloth. The tough frame allows you to use our products in more places, without losing sight.
- ✅EASY TO INSTALL: We have given you blower, tent piles and ropes. This framed outdoor projector screen can be fully inflated in about 2 minutes. The ropes and tent piles make the whole frame more stable, so you don't need to Waiting for a quick view.
- ✅EFFORTLESSLY PORTABLE : this amazing, huge outdoor movie screen comes with a convenient storage bag that allows you to carry your inflatable movie screen wherever you want. This portable projector screen is lightweight enough to take it with you in every relevant occasion for impressive projections.
Tusy’s 14-Foot Inflatable Outdoor Movie Screen is an oddly named product. It’s a 12-foot screen with a 14-foot diagonal size due to its robust frame. The usual air blower, rope, and a set of metal ground pegs, as well as a carrying bag, are included in the box.
The Tusy’s most appealing feature is the screen, which velcros into the frame. This makes it removable, and because it’s made of oxford fabric, you can wash it in the washing machine, making it easy to clean when dirt or spills inevitably accumulate. When reattaching the screen, though, you’ll need to be cautious. If you don’t get it lined up perfectly the first time, you can end up with creases when you’re done.
The fact that the full package weighs a little over 12 pounds is another factor that drew us to the Tusy. This is almost unheard of, and it makes the Tusy an excellent choice if you frequently travel with your projection equipment. It’s already heavy enough with speakers and a projector. A portable, lightweight screen can help to decrease the load.
For the low price, the blower on this screen is really powerful, and it will fully inflate the frame in about a minute. It is, however, affordable, and the motor is somewhat loud. If you’re having a calmer gathering with a large group of cinephiles, the Tusy isn’t the best pick.
- Strong blower
- Lightweight and small
- The screen may be removed and washed
- Fan can get a bit loud
Why get an outdoor inflatable projection screen?
People who wanted to watch movies or the big game outside had to spend a lot of money on pricey outdoor home entertainment systems that were mostly electronic-based before the invention of these fantastic outdoor inflatable displays.
Fortunately, progress, cost efficiency, and utmost pragmatism have brought us to the point where we can buy an inflatable movie screen for less than $200 and have the same “large” experience without spending a fortune.
You’ll want to take notes as we go deep into this issue, whether you’re the head of a neighborhood organization in need of new summer activity ideas or a parent arranging a birthday party with some yard space to spare.
People are enthralled by these screens at any time of day or night!
In fact, once you blow up one of these beauties to full size (varying from 6’ x 7’ to 30’+) and start playing a movie, your party will become larger than life and will be remembered by family, friends, neighbors, and anyone else who attends.
And the best part is that if you have the nacho budget, you can hold these events on a regular basis.
People remember people who once set up a large screen in their yard and invited everyone to come out!
We’ve even seen pizza delivery drivers pull up a lawn chair and forgo the rest of their shift because they’ve never watched “Gremlins.”
These screens are suitable for people of all ages – everyone enjoys a good movie night!
Inflatable movie screen buying guide
You may still be unsure which screen is best for you now that we’ve provided our top picks. There is no need to be concerned. We’ve put together a handy buying guide to help you make a better-informed decision between several options. Here are some of the things to keep an eye out for.
Ease of assembly
Inflatable movie screens are supported by an inflatable frame that looks a lot like a bounce house. When compared to, say, an inflatable pool raft, this makes the material exceedingly tough, but also requires the blower to remain running in order to retain rigidity. As a result, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to leave your inflatable screen up all day, so look for one that’s simple to set up and takedown.
Whether or not a screen is simple to assemble will be determined by your personal tastes. Almost all of them, though, share the same fundamental design. To secure the base, you first drive stakes into the ground, then turn on the pump to inflate them. You’re now ready to begin watching your movie. However, there are substantial distinctions between different sorts of stakes. Some are designed to clip or latch into the inflatable screen frame, while others must be secured into place. This isn’t inherently more difficult once you get the hang of it, but if you’re new to knots, you’ll probably need to learn a new one. The tautline hitch is the most popular stakes knot, and it takes only a few minutes to learn.
Another factor to consider is the screen’s actual size. In a moment, we’ll go over the technical requirements for various sizes. Let’s just say that the larger the screen, the heavier it will be and the more difficult it will be to put up.
Durability and construction
It’s vital to set certain expectations before we talk about durability. An inflatable movie screen is intended to be stored indoors rather than permanently installed outside. However, being able to keep one outside for a few days is beneficial; for example, setting one up the night before a party and taking it down the morning after.
As a result, we’re searching for a combination of UV resistance and water resistance. But first and foremost, you’ll need a frame that can withstand punctures. The last thing you want is for a guest to walk into your frame and produce a little pinhole, forcing your performance to terminate early.
Inflating a huge object like a projector screen frame necessitates the use of thick, sturdy material. We’re not talking about balloon rubber or thin poly. Extra-thick rubber, or better yet, thick oxford fabric, is what we’re talking about. Because these materials are both water-resistant and easy to clean, you can usually wipe the scream clean before each viewing.
The durability of the stakes that come with the kit, however, is something that many people miss. Plastic stakes have two flaws: they’re not as robust as metal, and they rot in the sun, causing their performance to deteriorate with time. However, because metal ground anchors may be purchased for a low price, stake quality should not be a deciding factor in your purchase.
Price will be another major concern for many folks. This is an inescapable part of every significant purchase, but a movie screen has its own set of difficulties.
This screen, for example, may only be used for a specific event, such as a wedding. In that situation, a less expensive screen might be the best option. After all, why spend a little amount on something that will spend the rest of your life in your attic?
Storage and transport
Finding a portable inflatable movie screen is an important component of choosing the finest inflatable movie screen, and this is another area where higher-quality screens tend to beat the competition. Even a tiny inflatable screen will weigh roughly 20 to 25 pounds, making it difficult to transport without a decent carrying bag.
You shouldn’t have to worry about this because most well-designed inflatable screens come with a carrying bag if you buy them correctly.
When your screen isn’t in use, a good case allows you to conveniently store it in a closet, attic, or basement.
Choose a quality pump
An inflatable movie screen, as previously stated, requires a constant supply of air to remain stiff. This is the case because even the best-engineered screen frame contains seams, and most are composed of semi-porous oxford cloth. As a result, they will slowly leak air, necessitating the use of a pump to maintain the right pressure.
Now, if you’re conducting a large-scale operation, you could need a large-scale pump. Even a huge bounce house, however, can be kept full with a normal 110-volt pump. Because even a large movie screen is smaller than a bounce house, you’ll be good with any kit’s stock pump.
However, the fact that many cheap pumps are noisy is the fundamental reason for their low price. The audio will almost always be louder than the sound of the pump, so this isn’t a huge issue for movies or musical events. However, if you’re planning a small, discrete occasion, a quieter pump would be preferable.
Finally, larger screens may necessitate the use of a 20-amp pump. Otherwise, you’ll trip a breaker if your circuit breaker and outlet aren’t rated for 20 amps.
Yard size vs. screen size
Obviously, you’ll want to choose a screen that fits comfortably on your property. It should be one that permits everyone to watch the film or presentation that is being shown.
Most firms that sell inflatable movie screens will provide you with a variety of sizes, which is really useful if you know how big the room where the screen will be inflated is.
The size of these screens, which are always rolled up and occasionally placed in a tote bag, might be deceiving, especially if you are spatially impaired.
Here are some common screen sizes and the approximate number of people they can handle.
|23 ft||18 ft||14 ft||10 ft|
|1000 chairs||400 chairs||175 chairs||75 chairs|
|Projector at 30 ft||Projector at 25ft||Projector at 20 ft||Projector at 15ft|
Remember that the corporation frequently takes a diagonal measurement, which can throw some people off because it is longer than the horizontal width.
If you can’t eyeball it, you can easily meet the screen size requirement by measuring your space with a tape measure if you can’t eyeball it. At the very least, you want the screen to fit comfortably in your yard.
Also, don’t fall for the myth that bigger is better. If your yard is small, purchase a smaller screen, also known as a screen that is designed suitable for your yard.
If you’re wondering if you can pump up these displays without using a separate air pump or your old cycling tube pump, which would take about an hour and most of your soul, you’re in luck!
Many of these screens can be plugged in and inflate themselves in a matter of minutes. Hurray!
You’ll understand how miraculous a self-inflating screen can be if you’ve ever had to manually inflate anything for the previous century, or had to blow up an air mattress using just your lungs’ breath.
However, if your inflatable screen is one of the larger ones (such as the 36-footer one below), the time it takes to inflate it can be as boring as watching paint dry. Other smaller ones, around 10 feet wide, may easily inflate in around 30 seconds.
Wind resistance (anchors, tethers)
These massive screens are just large bags of heated air shaped like drive-in theater screens on their own, which can be an issue if the weather turns against you.
I’m sure you’ve had those days where Uncle Bert stares suspiciously at some cloud cover rolling in, where there’s a little breeze here and there but not enough to call the party off.
You’ve been planning this party for weeks, and you intend to carry it out!
You could see some lines or wrinkles in the fabric of your movie screen when you inflate it. This could be entirely normal, depending on how wrinkled it is.
One thing to keep in mind is that once you’ve projected a movie onto the screen, the wrinkles are unlikely to be seen.
Some of these screens are so large that there are certain to crease once they inflate.
These screens aren’t supposed to swell to the point where they’re about to burst. They expand to the size you need them to be in order to show the movie to them. As a result, be a little lenient with these creases.
They’re most likely normal for the screen you bought. If, on the other hand, you believe that the screen I simply too wrinkled, and this is visible even when the screen is fully inflated and you’re viewing a movie, you may have a problem.
You may have a leak or a defective blower in this situation. If this is a recurring issue, this is something worth investigating.
You should also examine whether or not the screen is inflatable and instead attaches with velcro, as some of them do. In that situation, it’s possible that you just didn’t attach the velcro in the proper location.
Front and rear projection
On some displays, you can obtain both front and back projections.
This means that you have the option of projecting on the rear or front of the screen.
Most inflatable movie screens in a sensible price range don’t have this dual-sided feature, but some do, and those are worth checking for if you don’t want the projector at the front.
Because a specific type of material is required to provide this capability, the price of the screen will rise, as lumens are lost while projecting from the back in order to be viewed from the front.
Some inflatables feature screens that may be removed for easier cleaning. It also makes storage easier because the components may be folded separately.
Others include add-ons such as movie template tickets or movie-themed items. If you’re throwing a party right immediately, having those extras will come in handy.
If you don’t have anything else, some of the screens come with a projector included. It’s sometimes useful to have everything in one convenient box when you’re just getting started.
Maintenance for your inflatable screen
Another thing to think about before you buy is how to keep the screen clean. Make sure you’ll be able to care for the screen by keeping a vinyl plastics-friendly cleaner available.
Keep your screen clean, and you’ll be able to enjoy it for what it was designed for: viewing movies, playing video games, and watching YouTube from the comfort of your lawn chair. There are no smudges to taint the image.
The screen material is typically textured vinyl, although it can also be closer to cloth and different from the surrounding material. The screen is often velcroed on, which means you can remove it and clean both the velcro and the screen.
You don’t need to buy a screen cleaner like you would for an electronic screen. However, if you want to spruce up the projector as well, you could require something similar. But the most important item is the screen, which, to be honest, will be exposed to the elements and possibly ketchup-throwing children – who knows?
A simple wash with soap and water may be all that is required to keep the material looking new and the image quality crisp.
Alternatively, if it’s machine washable, simply chuck it in the laundry, and voila!
We wanted to address a number of common questions before we end up. The answers can be found below.
What is the best screen size for me?
When buying an LCD TV, selecting the greatest screen size is usually simple. Unless you live in a closet, you should just choose the largest screen that will fit on your wall. However, with an outdoor projection screen, you are not restricted by the amount of wall space available. However, you are still constrained by overall space.
If you’re projecting in 1080p, your ideal viewing distance will be around 12 times the screen’s diagonal measurement. So if you have a 10-foot screen, you’ll get the optimum viewing quality from a distance of 15 feet. There’s a lot of wiggle room here, and the screen will certainly be “viewable” from any distance. The ideal distance, though, should be in the center of your audience. Don’t get a 16-foot projector if you don’t want the middle of your crowd to be 24 feet away from the screen.
If you want to make it easier to figure out your optimal screen size, there is an online calculator that can assist you. There are other more advanced brightness calculating tools in the calculator, but those are outside the scope of this essay.
What are the advantages of inflatable movie screens?
To start, inflatable projection screens are less expensive than their full-frame counterparts. If the cost of a rigid-framed projector screen has been deterring you, this makes them an appealing option.
They’re also quite simple to put together. You won’t have to deal with any complicated assembly or heavy parts like you would with a rigid-framed screen. Simply plant a couple of stakes in the ground and connect the air pump, and your projector is ready to roll. Disassembly is also simple since you only need to turn off the pump and pack everything away.
Finally, inflatable movie screens are lightweight and easy to transport. While even a lightweight rigid protection screen can be very heavy, especially with the air pump and hardware, anyone can handle an inflated screen. Furthermore, most high-quality alternatives come with a carrying case, making transportation simple and convenient.
What are the disadvantages of inflatable movie screens?
Of course, nothing is perfect, and that includes inflatable movie screens. For starters, the wind will easily knock them over, putting an end to your party quickly. However, if the wind is howling, your visitors would most likely seek shelter indoors to begin with.
Air pumps, as previously said, can produce a lot of noise. For most individuals, this isn’t a major worry, but it can be a nuisance if you’re entertaining a small group at low volumes. This is not an issue with a screen with a rigid frame.
Finally, an inflatable screen is unsuitable for prolonged use. Choose a projector with a robust frame if you want to put up a semi-permanent projector that will last for months. You’ll pay more, but that’s the price you’ll pay for increased durability.
Which of these options is the best inflatable movie screen for you now that we’ve covered all of our bases?
The Open Air Cinema 16-Foot Outdoor Home Projector Screen is practically unequaled if you’re looking for the greatest available quality. Even for very huge gatherings, the 16-foot viewing area is ideal, and the building quality is excellent. The air blower is also very quiet, which you will appreciate.
The Open Air Cinema is a little costly. The Gemmy Deluxe Airblown Movie Screen is a wonderful choice if you want to save money. When you find a decent one, you know you’re getting top-notch service. And if you do happen to get a counterfeit, Gemmy’s two-year warranty will cover you.
Depending on your demands, all of the screens we’ve featured are worthwhile purchases. If one of these appeals to you, we hope we’ve assisted you in making an informed decision.
Last update on 2021-10-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API