You may think that all oils are the same, but this is not the case. Some oils are better for popping corn than others. Here, we will detail the best oils for popcorn machines and what makes them special.
Table of Contents
best popcorn oil brands to buy
1. Franklin’s butter-flavored coconut oil: The best popcorn coconut oil
Franklin’s butter-flavored coconut oil is our best oil for popcorn from our list. It’s 32 oz and has a wide opening that makes it easy for me to access. This 100 percent pure coconut oil has a delicious buttery flavor and may be used in place of butter. This is probably the secret ingredient in movie theaters that sell popcorn.
Franklin’s Gourmet Coconut Popcorn Oil makes cinnamon-flavored popcorn. This is a vegan popcorn oil made with 100 percent coconut oil; consequently, it will be perfect for individuals seeking this.
Franklin’s Gourmet Coconut Popcorn Oil is vegan, trans-fat-free, and gluten-free, making it excellent for frying and popping popcorn.
- It can be used in any method of cooking popcorn.
- Gives the kernels a yellow golden appearance
- The oil smells excellent and has a buttery flavor
- Makes crispy popcorn
- Reasonable price
- Has an artificial butter flavoring
- Is not recommended for toppings
- Use sparingly; it may become greasy
2. Orville Redenbacher’s buttery popcorn oil: best gluten-free & keto
Orville Redenbacher’s Buttery Popcorn Oil will be your first pick if you’re on the Keto diet.
Orville oil, unlike normal oils, is packed with richer buttery qualities, which is one of the reasons it is suggested for preparing popcorn, which softens and lightens popcorn.
This sort of popcorn oil, in particular, does not include gluten, preservatives, or artificial colors, so you can feel safe using it.
In addition to producing popcorn, Orville Redenbacher’s Buttery Popcorn Oil can be used to produce toppings to sprinkle on popcorn for a delightful buttery flavor.
- Suitable for Keto dieters Strong buttery flavor
- Popcorn may be made rapidly.
- Adding popsicle sticks and toppings
- Gently pop the popcorn.
- No added sugar
- No net carbs
- It’s possible that the package will be damaged during shipping.
- Does have artificial flavor and colors
3. Amish country popcorn – canola oil: The best popcorn canola oil
Canola oil with a pleasant, buttery flavor is ideal for tonight’s popcorn. It’s perfect for high-heat popping and has any popcorn oil’s lowest saturated fat content. Its mild flavor goes well with any variety of maize kernels.
- It has the best buttery flavor
- It already tastes so fantastic that you only need to add salt after
- It gives the popcorn a nice color
- Vegans will enjoy it.
- Low calorie, cholesterol-free, and saturated fat-free
- Work great on the stovetop, in the microwave, and in a popcorn popper.
- Because the butter flavor is light, you’ll need to use more oil
4. Zoe extra virgin oil: The best olive oil for popcorn
Zoe Extra Virgin Oil, a Spanish extra virgin olive oil, has a delicately fruity and buttery taste with mixed spices. It has a steady tang that is perfect for dressing salads and vegetables due to its diverse Spanish flavors. As a result, this is an ideal choice for making popcorn.
- Tastes fresh and delicious
- Price is reasonable
- Consistent quality
- tightly-sealed bottle
- Easy pour spout
- Mild taste
- Pleasant smell
- It has a slightly bitter flavor
- It has a pale tint
- It lacks the harvest date and provenance of the olives
5. Snappy pure peanut popcorn oil: The best popcorn peanut oil
Snappy Pure Peanut Popcorn Oil contains no trans fats, no cholesterol, and is low in saturated fats. It also contains antioxidants and healthy fats, which help decrease cholesterol levels.
The oil is refined, bleached, and deodorized before it is sold. It is unnecessary to store it at a cool temperature because it is easily pourable at room temperature. The clear oil can also be pumped, making it suitable with gallon syrup pumps. However, those who are allergic to peanuts should avoid using this oil.
Overall, it’s a good pick.
- The flavor is not overpowering
- It enhances the flavor of the popcorn
- The container contains a production and expiry date
- There is no need to refrigerate
- BPA free
- Suitable for high-heat
- Reasonable price
- Has a high smoke temperature
- Bleached and deodorized
- Not suggested for people who are allergic to peanuts
- It may have an unusual odor for individuals who are not used to peanut aroma
6. Snappy popcorn butter burst soybean oil: The best popcorn soybean oil
This rich buttery soybean oil flavor is ideal for popping or topping popcorn. Because it does not require melting, it can be used directly to prepare popcorn.
Because Snappy soybean oil has a light flavor, you can use it as a topping for pre-popped popcorn, just like at the movies. The oil is sold in gallons, but you can save money by purchasing a case of four.
- It can be used in hot butter machines
- It tastes just like it does in the movies
- It provides the popcorn a good buttery flavor
- It gives the popcorn the marbled yellow appearance
- It is reasonably priced
- The size is excessively large; no smaller packs are available.
- Not recommended for individuals who are sensitive to soy
7. Wabash valley farms classic blend popcorn popping oil: The best coconut and corn oil for popcorn
Wabash Valley Farms Oil is a blend of coconut and corn oil that gives your popcorn the classic taste and aroma of home-cooked popcorn. This certified Kosher pareve oil is a healthier option for the real taste of movie theater popcorn. It contains 66% less fat than pure coconut oil and includes no trans fats.
- It has a wonderful buttery flavor that pops up kernels perfectly
- It smells and tastes fantastic
- It is easy to handle
- It is ideal for popping and topping
- There is no advice on how much to use
- It is expensive
8. Baja precious organic sunflower oil: The best popcorn sunflower oil
The Baja sunflower oil is all-natural, expeller-pressed, non-GMO, and made from organic sunflower oil. The crushing of sunflower seeds is done following strict quality standards.
This high oleic sunflower oil contains more monounsaturated fat and less saturated and polyunsaturated fat than conventional sunflower oil. As a result, it’s suitable for high-heat cooking and versatile enough to be used for other culinary and aesthetic purposes.
- It has a wide range of applications.
- Excellent for high-heat cooking
- A healthy substitute for butter
- A high-quality oil with a smoke point of 440 degrees Fahrenheit
- The labels are out of date, which may cause customer confusion
- There is no flavor added
9. Golden Barrel Butter Flavored Popcorn Oil – Best budget
This is yet another popcorn oil with a base of coconut oil. Golden Barrel Butter Flavored Popcorn Oil is a coconut oil flavored with golden barrel butter that gives your popcorn a distinct flavor.
Not only can you use Golden Barrel Butter Flavored Popcorn Oil to replace butter in cooking to avoid the unhealthy excesses in real butter, but you can also use it to replace butter in baking.
Furthermore, Golden Barrel Butter Flavored Popcorn Oil, which is naturally yellow and contains natural Beta Carotene found in carrots, ensures the healthiest flavor and appearance.
- Coconut oil is used in this recipe.
- Make buttery-flavored “genuine” popcorn.
- It can be substituted for butter.
- Use for a variety of cooking methods
- Artificial flavoring is included.
Choosing the right oil for popcorn isn’t just about popping; it’s about flavor, health, and that perfect texture. Let’s explore the relationship between popcorn and oil, and why it’s more important than you might think.
The Role of Oil in Popcorn Making
When heated with oil, popcorn kernels literally “pop” and expand into fluffy, crunchy delights that make our movie experience complete. But it’s not just about the sound and the look; the choice of oil significantly affects the taste and even your health.
Even the Distribution of Heat
Using hot oil ensures that the heat is distributed evenly across all kernels. This means no more burnt or unpopped kernels! You get perfectly popped popcorn every time.
Different oils bring different flavors. Some oils retain their nutty taste, enhancing the popcorn’s flavor, while others blend seamlessly. Want to recreate that special cinema taste at home? It all starts with choosing the right oil.
Why High-Quality Popcorn Oil is Important
Using the right oil can make your popcorn snack healthier. Low-quality oil may lead to unhealthy diets and various health concerns.
Quality popcorn oil can add that rich, buttery flavor, making your popcorn utterly irresistible.
Lower Saturated Fat
Popcorn oils often contain less fat and are standardized, allowing you to enjoy your snack without guilt.
Using oil in making popcorn can actually save you time! How? Oil is a good conductor of heat, lowering the popping time.
Choices: Healthiest and Best Oils for Popcorn
Healthiest Oil: Avocado Oil
Avocado oil is great for the health-conscious, promoting eye health with its antioxidant lutein. If you’re looking for health and taste, this could be your pick.
Best for Popcorn Machines: Coconut Oil
For that authentic movie theater popcorn experience, coconut oil in combination with flavacol popcorn salt is the way to go.
Best Overall: Coconut, Canola, Sunflower, Peanut, and Soy Oils
These oils are commonly used for their balance of taste and health benefits. Experiment to find your favorite!
10 Different Types of Popcorn Oil to Consider
Here’s a rundown of some popular popcorn oils:
- Refined Coconut Oil: Creamy flavor, high smoke point.
- Refined Olive Oil: Healthy monosaturated fats.
- Avocado Oil: Rich butter flavor, heart-healthy.
- Canola Oil: Mild flavor, economical.
- Vegetable Oil: Versatile, mild flavor.
- Sunflower Oil: High in vitamin E.
- Peanut Oil: Heart-healthy, moderate flavor.
- Grapeseed Oil: High in omega-6.
- Safflower Oil: High smoke point.
- Bacon Grease: Smoky flavor (not the healthiest option).
Oil plays a vital role in the flavor, color, and texture of popcorn. Whether you’re concerned about health or craving that classic buttery flavor, there’s an oil for your popcorn. Next movie night, why not try something new and select the best oil that suits your palate? From healthy avocado to the movie theater’s secret coconut oil, the options are endless. Happy popping!
Last update on 2024-02-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links.