Is the allure of a crackling fire often marred by annoying smoke and embers? Smokeless fire pits are a game-changer, offering a cleaner, more enjoyable experience for outdoor gatherings. With an array of models flooding the market, making the right choice can be overwhelming.
Here’s a comprehensive guide to the nine best smokeless fire pits, each reviewed to help you find the perfect fit for your outdoor space.
Table of Contents
Understanding Smokeless Fire Pit Technology
Smokeless fire pits leverage advanced airflow systems to minimize smoke. They draw fresh air at the base, circulate it to facilitate combustion, and release smoke-free air through the top. The result is a cleaner, warmer fire, free from the usual inconveniences like eye irritation and clothes smelling of smoke.
Best smokeless fire pits recommendations
Based on the factors to consider mentioned above, here are the top smokeless fire pits in the market:
Solo stove bonfire pit
This is a very attractive model thanks to its modern and sleek design. In terms of durability, it is constructed from high-quality 304 stainless steel. The key to the efficiency of the Solo smokeless fire pit lies in the design of the device itself. You also won’t have to worry about repairs because it has a lifetime warranty.
The Solo Stove bonfire utilizes a double-walled, stainless steel design with many airflow apertures at the bottom, which directs colder air up through the two walls, heating that air as it flows higher.
This warmed air is then distributed out across the flame, generating a secondary burn. What this technique effectively accomplishes is burn away particles that would otherwise be smoked.
It’s a compact modest fire pit with 19.5 inches in diameter and 14 inches in height. It’s also lightweight, weighing up to only 20 pounds; hence, very portable. However, it produces enough bonfire.
- Great quality
- Easy to clean
- Attractive design
- Quick and easy to set-up
- Smokeless model with even heat distribution
- No top included
- May become very hot
BioLite FirePit Plus
This is a good alternative option for those who don’t want a permanent fire pit taking up space on their patio.
BioLite’s FirePit Plus, designed for on-the-go use, comes in at around 20 pounds. It measures 27 by 13 by 15.8 inches, making it ideal for patio usage. It can handle up to four cordwood logs. The fuel rack is lowered to the pit’s bottom when in fire pit mode.
Raising the rack to its maximum position allows you to cook over hot wood embers or charcoal briquettes.
The airflow technique may also be used as a patio warmer because it produces so little smoke.
Up to 30 hours of continuous use on low, 14 hours on medium, and 7 hours on high are possible with the new version’s enhanced battery life of over 20%. When you’re on the move, the legs of the FirePit Plus fold up, and it comes with a rain cover.
- With a greater capacity battery
- May be used with a patio heater
- Burn time of less than ten minutes
- Easy-to-clean with the retractable ash tray
- Comes with enamel coating for ease-of-cleaning
- May be operated through smartphone’s Bluetooth
- Comes with a grill grate that runs in less than 5 minutes
- FirePit’s mesh body allows you to observe the flames from any angle.
- No drawbacks mentioned
Outland Firebowl 823
The propane-fueled Outland Smokeless Fire Pit can be used both indoors and outdoors. Outland supplies the Firebowl with a pre-attached 10-foot propane pipe and a fully adjustable regulator, so the tank is hidden from view.
You won’t have to worry about smoky odors if you use this model. Its fire pit constructed from steel measures 19 and 11 inches in diameter and height, respectively. Because it is so light, you can take it on any trip and still have a crackling, open wood fire. It uses lava rock, which lies on top of the element, to provide a more realistic-looking flickering flame.
- Does not require assembly
- Affordable option compared to wood-burning fire pits
- Durable because of its steel construction and protective enamel coating.
- Has a rubberized chrome valve control knob for flame fine-tuning and propane quantity controlling
- Requires a lot of propane
- Flame may die out in strong breeze
- May emit annoying propane smell
Flame Genie Smokeless Fire Pit
The Flame Genie uses tiny wood pellets as fuel instead of traditional firewood or gas. Wood pellets are a fantastic option since they burn longer, provide more heat, and produce a roaring.
Hence, the Flame Genie is an alternate method for a smokeless fire pit that is both functional and efficient. The smokeless fire pit’s efficient burn means less clean-up when the fire is out.
The product comes in two sizes. Both can be transported in the vehicle of your choice. Black and stainless steel options are available.
- Attractive flame output
- Hassle-free preparation
- Smokeless enough for people to sit around
- Produces a complete burn with only ashes left
- Needs time to learn the model
- Fire needs monitoring after initial burn
- Pellets needed may be hard to find and/or expensive
Fireside Outdoor Pop-up Smokeless Fire Pit
Weighing just 8 pounds, the Fireside Outdoor Popup Smokeless Fire Pit is exceptionally light.
Moreover, it has a 125-pound capacity. Firewood is placed on top of the stainless-steel mesh, which is held in place by a sturdy aluminum frame. In terms of design, it resembles an actual warmth and authentic sensation of a wood-burning fire pit.
Unlike many outdoor smokeless fire pits, this one is open on all sides. With an open mesh bottom, it is simple to ignite and provides an efficient burn since the oxygen flows directly into the flames. It has a square figure, and you’ll be able to view the fire clearly from any angle.
However, this product may violate BLM and Forest Service laws for fire bans, so always verify with local and state authorities before using this.
- Easy to fold and clean
- Reliable fire production
- No tools needed, 60-second set-up
- Produces an almost smokeless flame
- Small space consumption, measures 24 inches when fully opened
- Thin aluminum frame
- A hole in the mesh can easily be burned through
- Requires wire brushing for keeping the mesh open
Hi Flame Bonfire Backyard Fire Pit
This portable wood-burning outdoor smokeless fire pit from Hi Flame Bonfire requires no assembling. It has pre-drilled air holes in a double-walled design.
Regarding size and weight, this one is 20.5 inches in diameter and comes in at a whopping 42 pounds. Despite its weight, this fire pit is portable, but it does need some effort to move.
Moreover, it produces a smokeless flame, which is a healthier choice. Particles that would otherwise be scattered like smoke are burned in a secondary burn that occurs when the air rises and passes over the flame.
- Produces significant heat
- Comes with a base and a lid
- Can accommodate up to 20 people
- Durable because of its stainless-steel construction
- With similarities to the Solo Stove Smokeless Fire Pit, but less expensive
- Not esthetic to look at
- Does not come with wheels
- Not suited for use on decks and grass
- Collected ash may clog the ventilation holes
Tiki Fire Pit
The Tiki has a more backyard-friendly appearance avoiding the industrial style of other smokeless fire pits. The Tiki Fire Pit has a more conventional patio appearance compared to other top models.
However, its functionality is not compromised. It produces extremely fine ash that is simple to clean since the “reburning” process recycles the smoke and particles through the fire pit.
It has a solo stove screen and kit to control sparks and embers in a high-risk environment. The Tiki Patio Fire Pit Screen and Poker is a stainless-steel spark screen kit for Tiki’s fire pit. The duo makes it easy for you to rearrange the log.
- Backyard-friendly appearance
- Comes with a lid to cover it when not in use
- Easy to remove and clean plastic-made ashtray
- Does not produce enough heat
Blue Sky The Peak Smokeless Patio Fire Pit
This well-built and durable smokeless patio fire pit is the best choice if you’re looking for a high-quality fire pit at a low cost.
It offers value because of its weight and strong construction. It’s a good choice for a high-end smokeless pit without spending much money.
The design looks like a component of a stealth bomber or an extraterrestrial aircraft. You can stack logs more readily in the Peak since it has a larger diameter than other models.
- High-end but not too expensive
- Laser-cut logo may be annoying to some
Solo Stove Yukon 27” Backyard Bundle
The 27-inch diameter of the Yukon makes it one of the biggest fire pits. Even with bigger flames, the double-wall construction of this chimney successfully reduces smoke.
Solo Stove’s Yukon fire pit was intended for use on patios and decks. Fire pits may be elevated to increase ventilation by using an integrated stand. Large fire pits must withstand the weather since they are difficult to relocate. Because of its stainless steel design and weather-resistant cover, this model is well-equipped to do this task.
- Comes with a stand
- Double-wall construction
- Has a weather-resistant cover
Factors to Consider Before Buying
- Price: Budgets range from under $100 to over $700.
- Material: The choice between stainless steel, corten steel, and powder-coated steel affects durability.
- Size: Consider your outdoor space and the number of people who will use the fire pit.
- Portability: Some models are designed to be taken on trips.
- Fuel Type: Wood, pellets, or propane, each comes with its own pros and cons.
- Safety Features: Look for models with safety screens and stable bases.
Are smokeless fire pits worth the investment?
Yes, they offer better heat distribution and are more environmentally friendly.
Can I cook on a smokeless fire pit?
Some models come with grilling grates, making them suitable for cooking.
How do I maintain my smokeless fire pit?
Proper cleaning and using a weather-resistant cover can prolong the life of your fire pit.
Smokeless fire pits offer an array of options to enhance your outdoor living space. With multiple choices in material, fuel, and design, this guide aims to simplify your decision-making process. Regardless of your needs and budget, there’s a smokeless fire pit out there for you, ready to take your outdoor gatherings to the next level.
Last update on 2023-12-07 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links.