Having your children outgrown the swing set you purchased a few years ago?
This is a dilemma that every parent has to deal with. As children become older, they require different toys. Toys that are suitable for their age group. Swing sets are the same way.
Allowing your youngster to play on a swing set that was plainly designed for children half their age is risky. You should get them a set that is suitable for them.
However, there are other options available. From $400 Walmart playsets to $2000 Amazon swingsets, there’s something for everyone. They’re all stunning. So how do you tell which one is truly worthwhile? Today, we’ll take a look at some of the most affordable swing sets for older children.
Table of Contents
Top 7 swing sets for older kids
Is your child need a $10,000 swing with artificial intelligence and seat warmers? Most likely not. However, they require solid swings that can withstand the abuse that an 8-year-old will dish out. This is why, when deciding on the best swing sets, we prioritized safety.
Outing Play Swing Sets With Wave Slide- For Those Who Are Looking For More Than A Swing
If you’re searching for something more than a pair of swings suspended from a pole, go no further. The excursion playset is a fantastic choice. This kit has a full playground in a little package. That’s a literal statement. This package has everything your child could ever want for their backyard.
When you buy an outing playset, you get the following: 1 rock-climbing wall, 2 swings, a climbing rope, a trapeze bar, a sandbox, and even a play fort.
- Kids can play on it for hours without getting bored.
- The instructions are highly detailed, and the playground appears strong.
- Expect to have kids from all around the neighborhood in your backyard.
- It takes a lot of time and effort to set up (at least an entire weekend)
- Because the product is constructed of wood, it will deteriorate if not properly cared for.
Lifetime Heavy-Duty A-Frame Metal Swing Sets- Our Top Pick
The lifetime swing set is unique because it is unanchored, eliminating the need to secure it to the ground. Unanchored swing sets are rather prevalent, so this may not seem like a major concern.
However, setups like these are rarely as durable. But it’s the effort put in by Lifetime to protect the set that’s truly astounding. The swings while the surface is powder coated to prevent rust. The swing is then covered with a high-density polyethylene plastic coating, which helps keep it cool even in the hottest summer months.
- The swing set is a lifetime heavy duty that can support a lot of weight, and users say it’s even suitable for adults.
- The building is self-supporting and does not require any ground anchoring
- This set comes with a 5-year warranty, so you can rest assured that it will not fail you anytime soon.
- It takes time and effort to assemble and install the swing sets, and some people may find it challenging
- A few customer received bolts that were too tiny
- The set is quite enormous (112.5”H x 125.5”W x 163.5”D) and will take up a lot of space in your backyard
Lifetime Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set
Those looking for a high-quality, heavy-duty metal swing set.
The Lifetimes Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set is a high quality, simple-to-assemble swing set perfect for kids (and adults) of all ages!
Three belt swings, a nine-foot wavy slide, monkey bars, gym rings, and a fireman’s pole are among the attraction. Powder-coated steel is used to construct it.
This is intended for children aged 3 to 12, but due to its durability, even adults who are youthful at heart will be able to play on it. Although the optimal age is most likely between the ages of 6 and 12.
The total weight capacity is 640 pounds, each swing station has a 140-pound weight capacity, and the slide has a 150-pound weight capacity. But, if you say it gently, it can hold a lot more!
It’s little about 19 feet long, 14 feet broad, and 9.5 feet tall. The manufacturer, Lifetime, recommends a safe working area of approximately 26 feet by 34 feet.
As far as heavy-duty swing sets go, this one is really very simple to assemble. The directions are clear and easy to follow, and you should be able to complete it in three to four hours with two of you.
It’s also worth noting that you won’t need to anchor this because the unit’s footprint and weight will keep it stable and balanced.
- Made of galvanized steel and high-density polyethylene.
- It’s the classic swing set, robust enough to carry adults yet with enough attractions to keep kids of all ages entertained
- Make excellent use of space
- Easy to put together
- The ladder leading to the slide might be better designed; it runs straight up, making it difficult or younger children (under the age of six) to ascend. .
- The swings are so close together; keep a closer eye on them if all three are in use.
Squirrel Products Tree Disk Swing Set- Best Tree Swing Set
If you already have a robust tree in your garden, the squirrel disk swing set is a cost-effective option. This swing takes very little time to put up as it is extremely light and portable, and making it an excellent swing set to take camping or on a family picnic. You only need a base to hang the set, and you’re ready to go.
- The entire product costs less than $15
- Very easy to assemble, which makes it portable
- The seat is made from plastic and needs almost no of maintenance
- Hanging kits are not included. This means you’ll need more rope before you can use this set.
- The swing did not come with an instruction booklet, and while the set is really simple to put together, having one is always beneficial.
- It is not designed to support an adult’s weight.
Spider Web Tree Swing Set–A pretty innovate tree swing
The spider web tree swing set features a lovely weave-like structure that immediately draws your attention. However, if you get beyond the unusual design, you’ll find a rather robust and high-quality swing set that the whole family can enjoy (not just the kids).
The swing is sturdy enough for adults to use, but it’s also fun for kids to use. However, the set does not include a frame, which must be purchased separately.
If you’re going to hang it from a swing, consider getting a swivel piece. This permits the swing to freely rotate.
- This weave is just as safe for a two-year-old as it is for an adult.
- It doesn’t take up a lot of room and is large enough to carry numerous children at once.
- Despite what the manufacturer claims, installing the set is a pain. It’s likely that you’ll require assistance.
- The primary product does not include a swivel piece, which must be purchased separately.
- A frame is not included with the swing.
Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Set- Comes Preinstalled
All sold out!
It’s a pain to put together a swing set. Setting up some sets can take a full weekend. Who has a lot of time on their hands? The heavy-duty swing sets with carabiners arrive completely assembled. It’s ready to be swung on once you’ve attached it to a support.
What I enjoy about this set is that it does exactly what it’s supposed to do and doesn’t come with a slew of extras that bother most modern sets. The Jungle Kingdom swing set is a terrific option if you’re searching for a good ol’ swing that’s also incredibly sturdy.
- It comes completely assembled, so you don’t have to do any of the heavy lifting.
- Extremely strong, with a capacity of 250 pounds.
- There are numerous color options available (red, green, and blue)
- A frame is not included with the swing set. You may either make one yourself or get one from Amazon
- The description of the product is incorrect. Despite the fact that the description states being able to hold 300 pounds. The real one can only hold 250 pounds.
- These swings are much more confining to sit on than those made of hard wooden planks.
Backyard Discovery Big Brutus
The Backyard Discovery Big Brutus is a massive yet well-made swing set that lives up to its name.
It features two 26-inch belt swings and a metal trapeze bar in a simple swing set.
This swing is designed for children ages three to ten years old, but because of its large size and reasonable weight limit of 150 pounds per swing, it may safely support older children/teenagers.
It’s 13.2 feet wide, 9.7 feet deep, and 9.6 feet tall. When built in your yard, Backyard Discover recommends that you leave at least six feet of space on all sides.
This is actually quite simple to put together, made even easier because it isn’t the most intricate structure ever. In fact, you can download an app called BILT that provides step-by-step instructions as well as 3D models to make assembly even easier! It will take about two hours to assemble with two or three people. Each leg is also equipped with steel twist-in ground anchors.
- This is massive!
- Constructed of strong steel with a durable frame.
- Even though it is quite tall, the real footprint is manageable, so it does not take up a lot of room and is reasonably priced.
- Well, it’s confined to play activities, so you’re out of luck. However, slides, monkey bars, and other features are included in some swing sets.
- If you have tiny children, ensure you are with them when they are swinging on this because it is very large, and the swings may go very high.
The Comprehensive Guide to Choosing the Perfect Swing Set for Your Kids
Choosing a swing set for your backyard is more than a mere purchase; it’s an investment in your child’s physical and emotional development. So, how can you make sure that your investment is sound, safe, and fulfilling?
Safety: More Than a Buzzword
When choosing a swing set, safety isn’t just a concern—it’s a priority. No detail is too small when your child’s well-being is at stake.
Weight Capacity: A Non-Negotiable Factor
You’ve likely seen weight capacity listed in product specifications, but it’s crucial to abide by these guidelines. Manufacturers may downplay the actual capacity for legal reasons, but that’s no excuse to ignore the limits. Overloading a swing set compromises its structural integrity and puts your child at risk.
To Anchor or Not to Anchor
Anchoring your swing set to the ground makes it substantially more stable. While it’s a commitment—once it’s anchored, it’s there to stay—it ensures that even the most energetic play doesn’t topple the structure. This task may require some DIY skills, but your child’s safety is worth the effort.
Space and Dimensions: The Blueprint of Fun
Before swiping that credit card, you need to know how much real estate the swing set will occupy. A good rule of thumb is to allow at least two yards of free space around the set. This buffer zone lets children swing, jump, and play without the risk of collisions with trees, fences, or other potential hazards like exposed cables or branches.
Material Matters: Wood vs. Metal
Your choice of material can significantly influence both the safety and the longevity of the swing set.
Wooden Swing Sets
While generally more budget-friendly, wooden swing sets do require regular maintenance to prevent decay and rot. Pressure-treated lumber is commonly used to withstand the elements, but you’ll need to invest some time at least once a year to reseal the wood. Despite these considerations, wooden sets offer a natural aesthetic that many find attractive.
Metal Swing Sets
Made predominantly from steel, metal swing sets are robust and can serve your family for decades. They come with an additional bonus: minimal maintenance. Most modern metal sets feature a powder coating to prevent rust and thermal discomfort. Despite their utilitarian appearance, metal sets offer durability and higher weight capacity.
Usage and Longevity: The Frequency Factor
The more your children are going to use the swing set, the more you should invest in its quality. It’s not just about your children; their friends will also likely want to play. Consider the local amenities too—a swing set near a playground may get less use, affecting your investment calculations.
For boys who tend to outgrow swing sets faster, consider other durable outdoor toys like a basketball hoop, which can offer years of utility.
Building a Swing Set: Time and Assistance
Assembling a swing set is no small feat, especially if you’re not accustomed to large DIY projects. The assembly time can range from hours to days, depending on the set’s complexity. Plus, the weather can play a role. Cold and rainy conditions aren’t ideal for outdoor construction.
Enlist the help of at least one other person, especially for the heavy lifting and stabilization tasks. If the instructions are unclear, allocate additional time for figuring out the various components and their correct assembly sequence.
Beyond the Swing: Add-On Features
Modern swing sets can offer a plethora of additional features—from slides and monkey bars to cargo nets. Discuss with your children what they want now, and consider how their preferences may evolve as they grow older. It’s prudent to choose a set that can adapt to their changing interests, offering longevity and value for your investment.
Creating a Safe Play Environment
The Right Surface
A soft landing is essential for reducing the impact of falls. Options range from loose-fill materials like sand and wood chips to specialized, ASTM-approved playground tiles. Avoid hard surfaces like concrete and asphalt at all costs.
Safety starts with proper instruction. Teach your children how to use the swing set correctly and establish basic ground rules for play. Always provide active supervision to minimize risks and handle emergencies.
Dress for Success
Dress your children in clothes that are snug yet comfortable. Avoid scarves, loose clothing, and drawstrings that can get caught in the equipment. Opt for closed-toe shoes with well-tied laces.
The Lasting Benefits of Swing Sets
Swing sets offer far-reaching advantages beyond mere playtime fun.
The swinging, climbing, and sliding activities stimulate vestibular and proprioceptive systems in children, which in turn can aid in focus and relaxation.
Regular play on swing sets contributes to recommended physical activity levels, enhancing muscular strength, coordination, and balance.
Social Skills and Unstructured Play
The swing set becomes a social hub where children learn crucial skills like turn-taking, communication, and spatial awareness. Plus, the open-ended nature of playtime stimulates creativity and problem-solving.
Investing in a swing set for your backyard is a decision that requires careful thought, not just in terms of immediate fun but also for long-term benefits. By keeping an eye on safety features, assessing your available space, choosing the right material, and considering the frequency of use, you can select the perfect swing set that’s worth every penny. Remember, it’s not just a toy; it’s an apparatus for growth, learning, and endless hours of enjoyment.
Last update on 2023-09-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This post contains affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using these links.