Having your children outgrown the swing set you purchased a few years ago?
This is a dilemma that every parent has to deal with. As children become older, they require different types of toys. Toys that are suitable for their age group. Swing sets are the same way.
Allowing your youngster to play on a swing set that was plainly designed for children half their age is risky. You should get them a set that is suitable for them.
However, there are other options available. From $400 Walmart playsets to $2000 Amazon swingsets, there’s something for everyone. They’re all stunning. So how do you tell which one is truly worthwhile? Today, we’ll take a look at some of the most affordable swing sets for older children.
Top 7 swing sets for older kids
Is your childin need of a $10,000 swing with artificial intelligence and seat warmers? Most likely not. They do, however, require solid swings that can withstand the abuse that an 8-year-oldwill dish out. This is why, when deciding on the best swing sets, we prioritized safety.
Outing Play Swing Sets With Wave Slide- For Those Who Are Looking For More Than A Swing
- Comes ready-to-assemble with step-by-step assembly manual, all required hardware, all lumber is pre-cut and pre-sanded at the factory - even the main beams are pre-drilled to reduce the time of assembly
- Charming design is packed into a compact footprint that fits in virtually any yard
- Separate accessory arm features a trapeze bar with rings for additional acrobatic activity
If you’re searching for something more than a pair of swings suspended from a pole, go no further. The excursion playset is a fantastic choice. This kit has a full playground in a little package. That’s a literal statement. This package has everything your child could ever want for their backyard.
When you buy an outing playset, you get the following: 1 rock climbing wall, 2 swings, a climbing rope, a trapeze bar, a sandbox, and even a play fort.
- Kids can play on it for hours without getting bored.
- The instructions is highly detailed, and the playground appears to be very strong
- Expect to have kids from all around the neighborhood in your backyard.
- It takes a lot of time and effort to set up (at least an entire weekend)
- Because the product is constructed of wood, it will deteriorate if not properly cared for.
Lifetime Heavy-Duty A-Frame Metal Swing Sets- Our Top Pick
- Fun free standing playset for kids ages 3 to 12; includes 2 belt swings and 1 trapeze bar,
- Constructed of all-weather high strength low alloy steel; will not crack, chip, fade, wrot, warp, or peel like wood playsets
- Designed for safety; hard edges are rounded or covered with plastic caps; soft rubber grips on swing chains prevent pinching
The lifetime swing set is unique in that it is unanchored, which eliminates the need to secure it to the ground. Unanchored swing sets are rather prevalent, so this may not seem like a major concern. However, setups like these are rarely as durable. But it’s the effort put in by Lifetime to protect the set that’s truly astounding. In fact, the swing’s while surface is powder coated to prevent rust. The swing is then covered with a high-density polyethylene plastic coating, which helps keep it cool even in the hottest summer months.
- The swing set is a lifetime heavy duty that can support a lot of weight, and users say it’s even suitable for adults.
- The building is self-supporting and does not require any ground anchoring
- This set comes with a 5-year warranty, so you can rest assured that it will not fail you anytime soon.
- It takes time and effort to assemble and install the swing sets, and some people may find it challenging
- A few customer received bolts that were too tiny
- The set is quite enormous (112.5”H x 125.5”W x 163.5”D) and will take up a lot of space in your backyard
Lifetime Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set
Those looking for a high-quality, heavy-duty metal swing set.
The Lifetimes Monkey Bar Adventure Swing Set is a high quality, simple-to-assemble swing set perfect for kids (and adults) of all ages!
Three belt swings, a nine-foot wavy slide, monkey bars, gym rings, and a fireman’s pole are among the attraction. Powder-coated steel is used to construct it.
This is intended for children aged 3 to 12, but due to its durability, even adults who are youthful at heart will be able to play on it. Although the optimal age is most likely between the ages of 6 and 12.
The total weight capacity is 640 pounds, each swing station has a 140-pound weight capacity, and the slide has a 150-pound weight capacity. But, if you say it gently, it can hold a lot moer!
It’s little about 19 feet long, 14 feet broad, and 9.5 feet tall. The manufacturer, Lifetime, recommends a safe working area of approximately 26 feet by 34 feet.
As far as heavy-duty swing sets go, this one is really very simple to assemble. The directions are clear and easy to follow, and you should be able to complete it in three to four hours with two of you.
It’s also worth noting that you won’t need to anchor this because the unit’s footprint and weight will keep it stable and balanced.
- Made of galvanized steel and high-density polyethylene.
- It’s the classic swing set, robust enough to carry adults yet with enough attractions to keep kids of all ages entertained
- Make excellent use of space
- Easy to put together
- The ladder leading to the slide might be better designed; it runs straight up, making it difficult or younger children (under the age of six) to ascend. .
- The swings are so close together, you might want to keep a closer eye on them if all three are in use.
Squirrel Products Tree Disk Swing Set- Best Tree Swing Set
- DISC SWING WITH ROPE: The Heavy-Duty Disc Swing is designed to be added to a swing set, jungle gym, or other outdoor playset. Your children will love this classic playset addition. (Always follows ASTM safety guidelines for a safe location when installing!)
- OUTDOOR FUN: Swinging is the most popular activity for any outdoor playground or jungle gym! Complete or update your current backyard swing set with this Heavy-Duty Disc Swing from Squirrel Products.
- DURABLE AND DEPENDABLE: Made of high-quality materials to ensure hours of fun and years of play. Rated to hold up to 150 pounds. A swing seat for kids of all ages!
If you already have a robust tree in your garden, the squirrel disk swing set is a cost-effective option. This swing takes very little time to put up as it is extremely light and portable, and making it an excellent swing set to take camping or on a family picnic. You only need a base to hang the set, and you’re ready to go.
- The entire product costs less than $15
- Very easy to assemble, which makes it portable
- The seat is made from plastic and needs almost no of maintenance
- Hanging kits are not included. This means you’ll need more rope before you can use this set.
- The swing did not come with an instruction booklet, and while the set is really simple to put together, having one is always beneficial.
- It is not designed to support an adult’s weight.
Spider Web Tree Swing Set – A pretty innovate tree swing
- ★ Whether you prefer to sit or stand, our delightfully fun tree swing can support up to 660 pounds on a resilient nest of hand-braided spider webbing. It provides a roomy nest for a kid- and even a couple of friends - to lay back, sway, and spot cloud shapes.
- ★ 100% safe and comfortable ride. This extra-large oval frame is made of sturdy steel wrapped in padding and durable braided plastic rope. Durable polypropylene rope creates a spider-web like netting with comfortable support. Highest quality and adheres to strict safety requirements with quality engineering including a padded steel frame and super strong 71''nylon webbing, the diameter of this Round Web Tree Swing is 40'' , which is large enough for multiple children to swing and play together.
- ★ Unique polypropylene rope netting center builds core strength. Heavy-duty spider web design encourages imaginative play. The one-sheet metal frame holds as much as 660 lbs. The Round Web Tree Swing is 40'' diameter, which is large enough for multiple children to swing and play together - promoting teamwork and social skills, offering endless hours of fun.
The spider web tree swing set features a lovely weave-like structure that immediately draws your attention. However, if you get beyond the unusual design, you’ll find a rather robust and high-quality swing set that the whole family can enjoy (not just the kids).
The swing is sturdy enough for adults to use, but it’s also fun for kids to use. However, the set does not include a frame, which must be purchased separately.
If you’re going to hang it from a swing, consider getting a swivel piece. This permits the swing to freely rotate.
- This weave is just as safe for a two-year-old as it is for an adult.
- It doesn’t take up a lot of room and is large enough to carry numerous children at once.
- Despite what the manufacturer claims, installing the set is a pain. It’s likely that you’ll require assistance.
- The primary product does not include a swivel piece, which must be purchased separately.
- A frame is not included with the swing.
Jungle Gym Kingdom Swing Set- Comes Preinstalled
- 2 Carabiners are included for hanging
- DURABLE Material: The material is so durable,you can use it many years
- Size:The size is 26.5" wide by 5.5" deep and is built to hold up to 250 pounds. chain is 66 inches
It’s a pain to put together a swing set. Setting up some sets can take a full weekend. Who has a lot of time on their hands? The heavy-duty swing sets with carabiners arrive completely assembled. It’s ready to be swung on once you’ve attached it to a support.
What I enjoy about this set is that it does exactly what it’s supposed to do and doesn’t come with a slew of extras that bother most modern sets. The Jungle Kingdom swing set is a terrific option if you’re searching for a good ol’ swing that’s also incredibly sturdy.
- It comes completely assembled, so you don’t have to do any of the heavy lifting.
- Extremely strong, with a capacity of 250 pounds.
- There are numerous color options available (red, green, and blue)
- A frame is not included with the swing set. You may either make one yourself or get one from Amazon
- The description of the product is incorrect. Despite the fact that the description states being able to hold 300 pounds. The real one can only hold 250 pounds.
- These swings are much more confining to sit on than those made of hard wooden planks.
Backyard Discovery Big Brutus
- Easy Assembly – Supported by the step-by-step interactive BILT app
- Free Standing – Molded feet with anchors included. No additional purchase necessary for anchoring.
- Heavy-duty powder coated steel, A-frame construction
The Backyard Discovery Big Brutus is a massive yet well-made swing set that lives up to its name.
It features two 26-inch belt swings and a metal trapeze bar in a simple swing set.
This swing is designed for children ages three to ten years old, but due to its large size and reasonable weight limit of 150 pounds per swing, it may safely support older children/teenagers.
It’s 13.2 feet wide, 9.7 feet deep, and 9.6 feet tall. When built in your yard, Backyard Discover recommends that you leave at least six feet of space on all sides.
This is actually quite simple to put together, made even easier by the fact that it isn’t the most intricate structure ever. In fact, you can download an app called BILT that provides step-by-step instructions as well as 3D models to make assembly even easier! It will take about two hours to assemble with two or three people. Each leg is also equipped with steel twist-in ground anchors.
- This is massive!
- Constructed of strong steel with a long-lasting frame.
- Even though it is quite tall, the real footprint is manageable, so it does not take up a lot of room and is reasonably priced.
- Well, it’s confined to play activities, so you’re out of luck. Slides, monkey bars, and other features are included in some swing sets.
- If you have really small children, you should make sure you are with them when they are swinging on this because it is very large and the swings may go very high.
Things you should consider before buying a swing set
Here are some suggestions for selecting a swing set for your garden.
There are only two things to consider when purchasing a swing set for your child
Will that swing be safe for my kids?
Will they be entertained by the set?
The rest is merely icing on the cake. Once you’ve determined that the set you want is both safe and engaging. You should also consider the following aspects:
What is the weight capacity of the swing set?
This is the maximum weight that the swing is capable of supporting. This figure is usually listed alongside the product dimensions by the manufacturer.
This rating is typically lower than its actual capacity, and your set should be able to handle significantly more weight. However, this is not something to play about with, and it is best to keep to the capacities that are available.
Does the set need to be anchored to the ground?
You must determine whether or not your swing set will be fixed to the ground. Because it is secured in place, an anchored swing is much more stable.
You will not be able to move the set once it is placed because it is fastened to the ground. Are you dissatisfied with the appearance of your backyard? It’s too bad. That’s the way things are going to be.
While you can hire someone to do it for you, anchoring a swing set is a difficult taks. Even if you have no prior construction experience, you can do it yourself.
What are the dimensions of the set?
Take a look at the dimensions of your swing set before purchasing it. You can get an idea of how much room it will take up.
There should be adequate space around the swing so that youngsters can not only swing around it but also jump off it without striking something. 2 yards of space surrounding the swing is a decent estimate, and should provide plenty of room for your kids to play. It’s also a good idea to keep an eye out for any potentially harmful dangling cables, plants, or branches.
What material is being used?
The safety of your child is crucial, and it is entirely dependent on the materials utilized. As a results, choosing a sturdy material that will survive for a long period is critical. Metal and wood are two of the most regularly utilized materials.
Wooden swings are less expensive than metal swings, however this low cost comes at a cost (ironic). While wooden sets are less expensive up front, they require a lot more maintenance. Nowadays, wooden sets are built of pressure lumber that has been treated to prevent rotting. However, they are not as long-lasting as metal swings. Every year at the end of the year, you should put aside some time to preserve the wood.
A wooden swing set, on the other hand, has its own allure. Their rustic, natural appearance is perfect for any backyard, however the mechanical metal set may look out of place.
If a metal swing set is out of your price range or you want a set that will complement your landscape, choose a wooden swing set
Metal swing sets are often made of steel and endure significantly longer than their wooden counterparts. While a wooden swing set will show signs of wear after a few years, a metal swing set will still seem brand new after ten years. Although it may appear that maintaining a set is a lot of labor, metal sets requirte very little upkeep. Most swing sets nowadays feature a powder coating that prevents rust and keeps the swing set from getting cold at night.
A metal set’s maintenance normally consists of repainting it once every couple of years to keep it from rusting.
Metal sets are also considerably stronger and have a significantly larger weight capability than wood ones. Metal swing sets, on the other hand, are not as appealing to the eye as wooden swing sets. A metal swing set is generally not for you if you are one of them.
How much will it be used?
If your children will be playing with it all day, you should invest more in it. However, if you believe the set will not be used frequently, you should choose for a more cost-effective choice. A swing set with no playground nearby will be used more by kids than one with a playground directly across the street.
You should also expect your child’s friends to swarm you house whenever they get the chance.
The quicker to grow out of their swing sets are young boys. If you’re seeking for a long-lasting toy for your guys, look no further. I would advise you to purchase a basketball hoop. Teenagers frequently spend a significant portion of their adolescent years shooting hoops in their backyard.
You should avoid placing the swing set too close to any trees or shrubs when putting it together. The soil is another important factor to be mindful of. Make sure the ground beneath the swing is soft. This will decide the severity of a fall. If the fround beneath your swing is too hard, spread a 2 inch layer of coastal pine bark on top. It’s recommended to avoid putting your swing set on a hard surface like cement for these reasons.
Now for the fun part! What kinds of activities do your kids want to do? Is it just swings? Is that a slide? Is that a cargo net? Bars for monkeys?
Swing sets and playsets nowadays can contain a variety of activities. Talk to them about their desires, consider their age, and what they could love in the future as they mature. If you’re going to spend a lot of money, you want it to last for your kids to enjoy themselves, right?
Expert advice for safe play on swing sets
Provide a soft landing
Under slides, swings, and other equipment that might benefit from a cushioned surface, place a soft substance, such as this ASTM-approved playground tile. For swings, the material should extend double the height of the suspending bar in front and back. A soft-enough cushion can be made using 12 inches of loose-fill material like sand, pea gravel, wood goods, or loose rubber products, but you can also use rubber matting, synthetic turf, and other artificial materials (ASTM tested) that require less upkeep. Avoid stepping on asphalt, concrete, dirt, grass, or soil.
Be an active supervisor
Simply put, accident prevention begins with you. Before allowing your children to play on the swing set, We recommend that you show them how to use it appropriately. There must be safety regulations even in your own garden, and you’d rather your child not learn them the hard way. Make sure they understand how to [use the swing set] and what happens if they don’t follow the rules. They’ll learn virtually automatically if they follow your lead. It’s also critical to give your youngster your undivided attention, which means staying nearby and avoiding distractions.
Dressing your child in playground with safety in mind
Consider more than the weather when it comes to dressing youngsters safely for swing set activity. On frigid days, swap scarves for neck warmers and avoid large garments, necklaces, and drawstrings. When laces are tied securely, closed-toe footwear, such as sneakers and boots, are safe shoe selections. Make sure the play equipment has no points that could catch a child’s clothing. Pay specific attention to the top of slides, S-hooks on swings, and climber joints.
How long will it take to build?
Don’t underestimate the time it takes to put one together, especially if you don’t undertake large DIY projects often. It takes a lot of time depends on the size and features of each swing set. Even if the construction procedures aren’t tough, there are usually a lot of them. For example, our best option for toddlers has nearly 4,000 pieces that must be put together. It takes a couple of days to build, according to several buyers, given that you won’t work on it full-time.
Large swing sets are too heavy to move, therefore they must be installed outside in their intended location. Allow more construction time if the weather is bad – youngsters may playing outside, but attempting to build a single swing set in the cold or rain is not a smart idea.
Because of the size and height of swing sets, having at least one extra person to hold parts as you put them together is a smart idea. Follow the instructions – if two or three persons are recommended, don’t try to do everything yourself.
Allow some extra “trial and error” time to figure out what goes where if instructions are in the form of diagrams that aren’t always apparent.
How swing sets benefit children
Swing sets are extremely beneficial to children. They promote physical and social development in children, and they’re also a lot of fun. Here are a few of the most important advantages of swing sets.
Sensory regulation: Swing sets provide youngsters with both vestibular and proprioceptive stimulation, as mentioned in “How we selected brands.” Children develop and manage these sensory systems while they swing, slide, and climb. These exercises can also help children feel calm and focused.
Motor planning and coordination: Swinging on a swing set teaches children where their bodies are in space, how to move their muscles, and how much effort is required to finish an action.
Physical activity: Swing sets require children to be physically active. Children ages 3 to 5 should be active throughout the day, and children ages 6 to 17 should engage in one hour of moderate to vigorous physical exercise every day, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Physical activity aids in the development of strength, balance, and coordination in children.
Social skills: Children experience taking turns, conversing, and problem-solving while swinging together on a swing set. They also learn to be aware of their surroundings as they examine to see whether there are any obstacles before swinging or sliding.
Unstructured play: Swing sets allow for independent, unstructured play. Unstructured play, according to Cindy Miles, a pediatric physical therapist, can boost confidence, imagination, and adventurous spirit.
What is the difference between a swing set and a playset?
A playset is more than just a set of swings. There are slide monkey bars, and even a toy fort in there.
Playsets are much more expensive than swing sets and take up a lot of space. If you don’t have a large backyard or a lot of money to spend on a playset, this is the option for you. Instead, you should acquire a swing set, which is a really practical option.
I don’t have any decent trees in my yard that could hold a swing. what should i do?
In most backyards, a tree is used to support the swing. This isn’t a solution for everyone. Perhaps you don’t have a tree or one that isn’t strong enough. Don’t be concerned if this describes you. You don’t have to give up your ambition of owning a backyard swing set. You can always purchase a self-standing swing set (like the lifetime metal swing set)
Will getting a swing set destroy my garden?
The majority of families believe they must pick between the two options. That, however, does not have to be the case. As long as you’re careful, you can have a beautiful garden with a swing for the kids.
Children are notoriously naughty, and they will almost certainly do damage to the garden. However, having a garden is an excellent method to instill responsibility in children. Give kids ownership of the garden and demonstrate that they are responsible for it and must exercise caution when in its vicinity. It’s also a good idea to keep your garden as far away from the swings as possible, but this isn’t always practicable. The garden should be placed just behind the swings in this situation. As a result, it’s unlikely that your children will step on your plants by accident.
Should i go for a second-hand swing set?
If you want a high-quality swing, a second-hand swing set is a good choice. At a low cost, Craigslist is a terrific place to look, and while there are a lot of fraudsters there, you can find a great price if you seek hard enough. However, I would not advocate purchasing a wooden set that is more than a year old. This is especially true if you live in a humid environment, as the wood warps. This implies that when you try to reassemble the pieces, some of them may not fit together properly
What to consider when installing a swing set
After you’ve decided on the greatest swing set for your child’s needs, the next step is deciding where to put it. You should carefully consider your placement so that it is far enough away from potential threats. Find a location in your yard that is at least 6 feet from walls and at least 7 feet from electrical wires – wires should not cross the playground. Prepare this space to be approximately level but drainable. Each apparatus should be separated from the others by at least 12 feet.
A swing set is an important element of each child’s childhood. It’s also a terrific method to get your kids outside to play. The Lifetime heavy strength A-frame swing set is one of my favorite swing sets for older kids. There’s no need to buy a separate frame, and it even has a number of safety features to keep your children safe.
However, if you already have a frame from an old swing set or a tree in your backyard, you can utilize it. Then I strongly advise you to purchase the Spider Web Tree Swing Set. The complete set is large enough to accommodate many children and even an adult.
Last update on 2022-04-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API