Most cooks in the South have one or more favorite chicken casserole recipes in the file box, because chicken casseroles are easy to prepare and make a nice dinner main dish or a recipe to make up for a community meal.
One of the most popular chicken casserole dishes includes broccoli. The flavor combination is nice, and the colors balance well for a pretty dish. This also adds a vegetable to the meal without having to cook a separate recipe.
Another plus with chicken casseroles are that most, like this one, can be made the night ahead and kept in the refrigerator covered and then baked right before the meal.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- 1 whole chicken boiled and cut up into bite sized pieces (around 3 cups)
- 2 boxes frozen broccoli (10 ounce size) steamed and drained
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (10 ¾ ounce)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- 4 to 5 slices toasted bread cut in cubes
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Combine chicken, broccoli, and cream soups and stir.
- Add mayonnaise, cheese, and lemon juice. Stir again.
- Butter or spray with Pam a casserole dish 9 x 9 or 9 x 11 or similar.
- Put chicken mixture into casserole dish and smooth mixture.
- Put bread cubes on top of chicken mixture.
- Drizzle butter over crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for around 20 minutes or until casserole is hot and bubbly. Baking time may be a little longer if the dish is assembled the night prior and is chilled.