Chicken Parmesan (also known as Parmesan chicken or chicken Parmigiana) is a popular breaded dish baked in tomato sauce, but did you know you can make it on the grill too?
This article will guide you through a delicious recipe for grilled chicken Parmesan, perfect for a summer barbecue.
Table of Contents
Quick Facts About Chicken Parmesan
- Parma, an Italian region, is well-known for its cheese, including Parmesan.
- There is some debate over the origin of the term “parmigiana,” with some sources attributing it to the dish’s preparation method (in layers) rather than the ingredients.
- The primary cheese used in chicken Parmesan is actually mozzarella, not Parmesan. However, this recipe will call for both types of cheese for an even richer flavor.
Traditional Chicken Parmesan vs. Grilled Chicken Parmesan
Traditionally, chicken Parmesan is made by dredging chicken breasts in an egg wash, flour, egg wash again, and finally bread crumbs. The chicken is then baked in a dish with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Grilling this dish may seem challenging due to the melting cheese and tomato sauce, but this recipe has you covered with a version that can be prepared entirely on the grill.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan Recipe
This recipe for grilled chicken Parmesan consists of three simple steps, serves four people, and can be completed entirely on your outdoor grill.
- Prepare the tomato sauce
- Grill the chicken
- Combine chicken, sauce, and cheese
- 1 can (28 oz) or 2 cans (14 oz each) of stewed tomatoes
- 6 to 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp oregano
- Bread crumbs
- Freshly ground pepper
- Optional additions to tomato sauce: ¼ sweet onion (e.g. Vidalia or Maui), ¼ clove of garlic, 1-2 leaves of fresh basil or 1 tsp crushed dried basil leaves
Preparing Chicken Parmesan for the Outdoor Grill
This recipe does not require pounding the chicken breasts or breading them before grilling, making it a straightforward and mess-free option.
Preparing the Grill and Sauce
- Lightly coat the chicken breasts in olive or canola oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- Turn on the grill and set the temperature to high.
- Blend the stewed tomatoes, oregano, optional onions, and garlic in a blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a cast iron skillet.
- Reduce the grill heat to low-medium (300-350 degrees).
- Place the skillet on the grill grate directly over the heat. Cook the chicken directly on the grill next to the skillet, stirring the tomato sauce occasionally to prevent scorching.
Grilling the Chicken
- As the tomato sauce thickens, grill the chicken breasts directly on the grate. At 300 degrees, the breasts should reach an internal temperature of about 150 degrees when cooked for 7-8 minutes per side.
- If the tomato sauce thickens too much, add red wine or chicken stock to thin it.
- Transfer the chicken breasts to the skillet with the tomato sauce, spooning sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs over the chicken, then grate Parmesan cheese on top. Alternatively, use prepared grated Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Let the chicken simmer on the grill for another 7-8 minutes, until the mozzarella cheese melts and the chicken reaches serving temperature.
Serving the Chicken
When the chicken is ready, use a large spoon to serve one chicken breast with some tomato sauce on each guest’s plate.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan is often served with fresh or grilled vegetables and pasta for a complete and satisfying meal. This dish is perfect for a warm summer evening and is sure to impress your guests.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan is a delicious and unique twist on the classic baked version. With this easy-to-follow recipe, you can create a mouth-watering dish that can be enjoyed outdoors with friends and family. The combination of tender grilled chicken, rich tomato sauce, and melted cheese creates a memorable and tasty experience. So fire up that grill and start experimenting with this delicious recipe today!