Nothing beats waking up to the smell of a delicious, warm breakfast casserole, especially during the holidays or after a big celebration. These easy breakfast casserole recipes can be prepared the night before, allowing you to hit the snooze button while they bake to perfection in the morning.
In this article, we’ll share two scrumptious recipes – a savory Italian Sausage and Hash Brown Casserole and a sweet French Toast Casserole – to help you start your day on a delightful note.
Table of Contents
Italian Sausage and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
This hearty breakfast casserole features a savory combination of Italian sausage, hash browns, cheese, and a touch of cream of mushroom soup for added richness. Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this dish is sure to satisfy your hunger and keep you fueled for the day.
- 1 ½ pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 24-ounce package hash browns, thawed
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking dish.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, brown the meat, crumbling as you cook. Drain excess fat and transfer the sausage to the baking dish.
- Sprinkle half the cheese over the sausage.
- Use the same skillet to heat the hash browns and soup.
- Spread the now hot hash brown mixture into the pan, sprinkle with scallions, and top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
French Toast Casserole: A Sweet Breakfast Treat
If you have a sweet tooth and some leftover bread, this French Toast Casserole is a perfect way to repurpose it into a delectable breakfast dish. With its rich flavors of cinnamon, brown sugar, and vanilla, this casserole is a delightful morning treat.
- 4 whole eggs
- 2/3 cup egg whites (reserve yolks for tomorrow’s scrambled eggs)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons syrup
- ¼ stick or 4 pats butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Bread (dried-out bread works well for this recipe)
- Mix eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, and syrup in a bowl and set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
- Pour the melted sugar mixture into a greased baking pan.
- Place one layer of bread in the pan and pour the egg mixture over it.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Cover with foil and place a second baking dish over the foil to keep the bread submerged.
- Leave overnight.
- In the morning, bake the French toast for 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
These easy breakfast casserole recipes are perfect for holiday mornings or any day when you want a comforting, warm meal to start the day. With their make-ahead convenience, you can enjoy a few extra minutes of rest before indulging in a delicious and satisfying breakfast. So go ahead and give these recipes a try – your taste buds will thank you!