Grilled stuffed onions are a delightful and flavorful dish perfect for any barbecue or outdoor gathering. Not only are they simple to prepare, but they also add a unique twist to your regular grilling menu.
This easy grilled stuffed onions recipe will guide you through the process step-by-step, ensuring that you have a delicious and impressive dish to serve your family and friends.
Choosing the Right Onions
For this recipe, you will need four medium-sized onions. You can choose from red, yellow, or white onions, or even mix them up for a vibrant and colorful presentation. Keep in mind that different onion colors might roast at slightly different rates due to their varying water content.
- 4 onion shells (yellow, red, or white), hollowed out for stuffing
- 1 cup parsley, chopped roughly
- 6 ounces ham, diced
- 1 cup (approximate) vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons of sliced raw almonds
- 4 cups (approximate) of bread diced or torn into ½-inch cubes. Use a good quality crusty bread such as a French baguette.
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 1 cup diced onion (can be made from the portion removed from the onion shells).
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil.
Hollowing Out the Onions and Initial Grilling
- Preheat your grill to around 400°F with the lid closed.
- Trim the onions, removing the outer skin and root end.
- Carefully cut an X through the center of the onion, being cautious not to cut through the outer two or three layers.
- Using a spoon or melon baller, remove the interior of the onion, leaving about two to three layers intact.
- Place the onion shells on the grill over indirect heat for about 20 minutes while you prepare the stuffing.
Preparing the Stuffing
- In a sauté pan, melt the butter with the canola or olive oil.
- Add the celery, onion, and garlic clove. Cook until the onion is soft but not transparent.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the diced bread and sautéed vegetables.
- Gradually stir in the vegetable or chicken stock until the bread is slightly moistened.
- Add the diced ham, parsley, and almonds, mixing well to combine all ingredients.
Stuffing and Grilling the Onions
- Remove the tender onion shells from the grill.
- Use a large spoon to stuff the onion shells with the prepared mixture.
- Return the stuffed onions to the grill over indirect heat, maintaining a temperature of about 325-350°F.
- Grill the stuffed onions for approximately 25 minutes, adjusting the flame as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
Serving the Grilled Stuffed Onions
To serve, place the grilled stuffed onions on a plate and cut them in half. This delicious dish is sure to impress your guests with its unique combination of flavors and presentation. Enjoy the taste of these scrumptious grilled stuffed onions at your next outdoor event or family dinner!
Grilling Tips for the Perfect Stuffed Onions
To ensure that your grilled stuffed onions turn out perfectly every time, keep these helpful tips in mind during the cooking process:
- Prevent flare-ups: If your grill is prone to flare-ups, place the stuffed onion atop a 2 or 3-inch square of onion skin. This will help protect the onion shell from getting scorched while grilling.
- Monitor the onion colors: Remember that different onion colors may roast at slightly different rates due to their varying water content. Be sure to keep an eye on them and adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Use indirect heat: Cooking the onions over indirect heat helps them cook more evenly and prevents the outer layers from burning.
- Rotate the onions occasionally: To ensure even cooking, rotate the onions on the grill periodically.
- Choose the right bread: Opt for good quality crusty bread, such as a French baguette, to make your stuffing. This will provide a better texture and flavor to the dish.
- Adjust the grill temperature: Maintain a consistent grill temperature of around 325-350°F during the final grilling stage. Adjust the flame as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
- Rest the onions: Allow the grilled stuffed onions to rest for a few minutes before serving. This will help the flavors meld together and make the dish even more delicious.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to creating a mouth-watering and memorable grilled stuffed onions dish that your friends and family will love. So, fire up the grill and enjoy the delightful flavors of this unique and tasty recipe!