Pan Baked Corn Bread Squares – A Southern Favorite
The texture is a little more like cake but with plenty of corn taste. This is the kind of bread usually seen cut in little squares.
- 2 cups corn meal
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 TBS cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- Mix the dry ingredients – corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Do this in a medium sized bowl.
- Combine cooking oil, egg, and milk. Mix enough to get the egg mixed in. A small bowl or large measuring cup works fine for this step.
- Pour the wet igredients in with the dry and mix. Get the lumps out but don’t stir too much. Bread tastes tough when overmixed.
- Grease a 9 x 11 shallow baking pan. Pour corn bread batter in pan.
- Bake in 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes. The color should be light golden. A toothpick should come out clean when the bread is done.