Ready for some summer grilling? We all are! As you prepare for the perfect BBQ, it’s essential to consider not just the main course but also the scrumptious side dishes that complete the meal. In this article, we’ll share five delectable side dishes that will elevate your next barbecue, block party, or outdoor celebration. Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
1. Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits
You might be surprised to see biscuits on this list, but trust us, these Red Lobster Cheddar Biscuits are worth it. They are not only mouth-watering but also versatile – try making a hamburger cheddar biscuit bun!
- 2 ½ cups Bisquick baking mix
- ¾ cup cold whole milk
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese
Brush on Top:
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine Bisquick with cold butter using a large fork. Mix until there are small chunks of butter that are about the size of peas. Add cheddar cheese, milk, and ¼ teaspoon garlic. Mix by hand until combined, but don’t over-mix.
- Drop ¼-cup portions of the dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the tops begin to turn light brown.
- After removal from the oven, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in ½ teaspoon garlic powder and the dried parsley flakes. Use a brush to spread this garlic butter over the tops of all the biscuits. Makes one dozen biscuits.
2. Irresistible Spinach Artichoke Dip
This crowd-pleasing spinach artichoke dip will have your guests coming back for more. Serve it with nacho chips, pita bread, or a loaf of freshly baked bread from the grocery store.
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, ground
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 14-ounce jar of marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 5-ounce package of spinach, chopped, frozen, drained, and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 9″ x 13″ baking dish with Pam or similar vegetable shortening.
- Mix cream cheese, cheddar, sour cream, parmesan, pepper, and garlic in a mixing bowl on medium speed until creamy.
- Add artichokes and spinach and mix by hand until blended.
- Spread in greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until bubbly and light brown.
- Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
3. Scrumptious Seven-Layer Taco Dip
This indulgent seven-layer taco dip is the perfect addition to your BBQ. Pair it with the spinach artichoke dip for a truly memorable experience.
- 1 (1 ounce) package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 (16-ounce) can of refried beans
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounces) container of sour cream
- 1 (16 ounces) jar of salsa
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bunch of chopped green onions
- 1 small head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 (6 ounces) can of sliced black olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl, blend the taco seasoning mix and refried beans. Spread the mixture onto a large serving platter.
- Mix the sour cream and cream cheese in a medium bowl. Spread over the refried beans.
- Top the layers with salsa. Place a layer of tomato, green bell pepper, green onions, and lettuce over the salsa, and top with Cheddar cheese. Garnish with black olives.
4. Mexican Corn on the Cob
Elevate your traditional corn on the cob with this Mexican-inspired recipe. If you’ve tried Mexican corn on the cob from a street vendor, you’ll know why it’s meant to be paired with mayonnaise, cotija cheese, lime, and butter. Add some chopped bacon for an extra crunch!
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated cotija cheese
- 4 wedges lime (optional)
- Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill corn until hot and lightly charred all over, 7 to 10 minutes, depending on the temperature of the grill. Roll the ears in melted butter, then spread evenly with mayonnaise. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and serve with a lime wedge.
5. Refreshing Broccoli Salad
This easy-to-make broccoli salad is a summer favorite that allows you to improvise. Adjust the dressing proportions to suit your taste – it’s a forgiving recipe!
- 5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/4 cup of red onion, chopped
- 1 cup of frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Combine broccoli florets, raisins, sunflower seeds, crumbled bacon, chopped onion, and peas in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk together mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar in a separate bowl or large cup.
- Add dressing to the salad and toss to mix well; chill thoroughly before serving.
Every great BBQ needs more than just a main course. These delicious side dishes will bring your meal together and create a memorable dining experience for everyone. Enjoy the summer season and treat your taste buds to these refreshing, flavorful side dishes that are perfect for any outdoor gathering. Happy grilling!