Enjoy Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pudding at Your Next Holiday Meal
If you’ve never had sweet potato pudding, it’s similar to corn pudding. Sweet potatoes are grated and mixed up, then baked in the oven for a nice side dish that is colorful as well as tasty.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups sweet potato (raw – peeled and grated like for potato latkes)
- 1 can (13 oz.) evaporated milk
- ½ cup whole milk (do not use skim milk or the pudding will be runny)
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter or margarine (melted)
- 1 cup coconut (flaked type)
- Combine the eggs and the sugar in a big mixing bowl and mix well. It is fine to use a hand or a stand mixer at this point.
- Add both types of milk, cinnamon, salt and butter. Mix well.
- Stir in shredded sweet potato and coconut and stir. Wait until the last minute to shread the sweet potato, because it can discolor like white potatoes.
- Pour into a lightly greased or Pam sprayed medium sized casserole dish (9 x 9 or similar).
- Bake for an hour at 350 degrees F or until the center is set. The edges may very lightly brown, but this is a light colored side dish when done – light orange with a glow.
If you’ve looking for sweet potato recipes, check out these other favorite Southern sweet potato dishes: