If you live in a hot region or somewhere that gets hot in the summer, having a place to swim can make the heat endurable and even fun. In-ground swimming pools, as you’re probably aware, are costly to install and maintain.
Above-ground pools, on the other hand, are a more cost-effective option. They’re also a lot easier to put together and may be just as entertaining as their in-ground equivalents.
We’ve got you covered whether you’re searching for a low-cost way to cool off or want to try out a pool before committing to building a permanent hole in your yard. We’ve compiled a list of the top above-ground pools on the market right now.
Top above-ground pools picks
Intex Ultra XTR Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump
- 26329EH 18´ x 52" Ultra XTR Frame Pool
- Comes equipped exclusively with Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pumps with Hydro Aeration Technology - providing the best filtration performance and unmatched water clarity
- Maintenance is incredibly easy since sand only needs routine backwashing and replacement every 5 years
- Uniquely designed frame combines high quality galvanized steel with precision engineered locking system, enhancing the overall quality, durability and stability of the pools
- Encapsulating inner and outer powder coating ensures the ultimate resistance to rust
The Intex Ultra XTR Pool Set is an above-ground choice that stands out from the crowd. Aside from the pool itself, it also includes a sand filter pump, a ladder with slip-resistant steps, a ground cloth, and a cover with a handy rope tie. The filter pump has a flow rate of 2,100 gallons per hour and is equipped with a built-in timer with pre-programmed cycles.
The galvanized steel frame is connected to a precision-engineered locking mechanism, which adds to the product’s overall stability and longevity. This pool also resists rust thanks to a protective powder coating on the inside and external walls. The circular Intex Ultra XTR stands 52 inches tall and has a diameter of 18 feet. It has a capacity of over 6,900 gallons of water and can be filled in under 60 minutes.
- It comes with useful add-ons.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Setup duration is lengthy.
lntex Ultra XTR Rectangular Pool Set
- Engineered for strength, the ultra frame pool is supported by strong, durable Steel frames which are powder coated for rust resistance and beauty
- With a contemporary appearance and increased strength the Intex ultra frame pool is the standard for luxury in the market
- Connect the Krystal clear sand filter pump to enjoy clear, sparkling water. Ready for water in 90 minutes
- New dual suction outlet fittings improve water circulation resulting in better water hygiene and clarity. The newly designed ladder also provides greater support and stability
- Water capacity: (90%) 14, 364 gallons. Includes: Krystal clear sand filter pump 2, 800 GPH (110 - 120V). ladder. Ground cloth. Debris cover. Set-up and maintenance DVD
The 52-inch-deep Intex Ultra Frame Rectangular Pool is available in a variety of sizes. 216 x 108 inches (18 x 9 feet), 288 x 144 inches (24 x 12 feet), or 384 x 192 inches (32 x 16 feet) are the sizes available. A filtration pump, a slip-resistant ladder, a ground cloth, and a debris cover are included in the kit. A maintenance kit and a volleyball set are included with the largest pool.
You can expect high-quality engineering, durability, and weather resistance from all Intex above-ground pools. Water is kept in by a puncture-resistant triple-ply liner, and powder-coated steel frames support the walls. This pool circulates water effectively while keeping it clean and clear for as long as possible, thanks to dual-suction exits.
- Available in a variety of sizes.
- Sturdy and long-lasting
- Filter for the pump is included.
- Well-circulated water
- A hose is not included with the pump filter.
Intex Ultra XTR Rectangular Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System
- RELAXING ABOVE GROUND SWIMMING POOL: Above ground outdoor swimming pool designed with a gray outer liner and blue tile-print inner liner for a classic, clean look. Water capacity at 90% is 14,364 gallons
- MINIMAL AMOUNT OF MAINTENANCE: Easy maintenance with sand that only needs routine backwashing and replacing every 5 years; Quick set up means it's ready for water in 90 minutes
- HYDRO AERATION TECHNOLOGY: Hydro aeration technology in the pump improves circulation, filtration, and water clarity while increasing the water's negative ions
- INCLUDES: Includes sand filter pump that has a pump flow rate of 2,650 gallons per hour. Also includes: pool, pool ladder, ground cloth, sand filter, and pool cover
- SPECIFICATIONS: Pump voltage: 110-120V; Pool type: Above ground; Material: Steel and PVC; Water capacity at 90% is 14,364 gallons; Liner included: Yes; Filter pump included: Yes; Cover included: Yes; Ladder included: Yes; Country of origin: Unknown; Color: Gray; Dimensions (L x W x D): 32 x 16 x 4.3 feet; Manufacturer warranty: 2-year warranty; Disclaimer: Please review your HOA rules and restrictions before purchasing this product. Not all housing agencies permit private above-ground pools
Saltwater pools are having a moment, and they’re not only for in-ground pools anymore. This Intex Ultra XTR Rectangular Set with Saltwater System is the greatest above-ground alternative. You’ll need to purchase your own salt to add to the saltwater system in order to obtain the desired salinity level.
This large pool is 384 inches (32 feet) by 192 inches (16 feet) and is 52 inches deep. It’s ideal for lap swimming, splashing, floating, and games. You’ll also get a sand filter pump, ladder, ground cloth, and a pool cover in addition to the saltwater system. Intex also offers a two-year warranty on this pool.
- The large size is ideal for a variety of activities.
- Filter pump and other equipment are included.
- Comes with a warranty
- You must purchase your own salt.
Coleman Power Steel Swim Vista Series II Swimming Pool
The Coleman Power Steel Vista Series II is the greatest above-ground pool with a steel frame. It measures 216 inches (18 feet) in diameter and 48 inches deep, with a capacity of 6,100 gallons. There are no tools required to put up or take down this pool. It has a rattan print on the exterior and a tile design on the internal walls, making it a lovely addition to your yard.
The frame is made out of reinforced portholes in the walls and corrosion-resistant steel that holds everything together. The outer lining is made of puncture-resistant Tritech and is also rather durable.
- There are no tools required for assembly.
- There is just one print to pick from.
Summer Waves Quick Set Inflatable Above Ground Pool with Filter Pump
- Splash the day away in the comfort and privacy of your own backyard with this inflatable pool
- Round shape measures 8 feet in diameter and 2.5 feet deep for a 608-gallon capacity
- Includes RX330 pool filter pump with GFCI
- Rapid installation allows you to set this pool up in minutes
- Inncldues filter cartridge with a built-in chlorinator and a D filter cartridge for the pump
We recommend the Summer Waves Quick Set if you’re looking for a blow-up pool that’s a little bigger and more durable than your regular kiddie pool. The diameter of this round pool is 120 inches (10 feet). It’s 30 inches deep and has a capacity of 600 gallons. You can put it up in minutes because it was designed expressly for super-fast installation. It also comes with a filter pump, unlike other inflatable pools.
- Installation time is minimal.
- Filter pump is included.
- It has a capacity of over 600 gallons of water.
- Excellent for children.
- For adults, it is too shallow.
H2OGO! Underwater Oasis Spray Pool
- 8 ft. x 26 in.
- Pool Depth: 26 in.
- Water Capacity (80%): 555 gal.
- Large and comfortable
- Assembly and disassembly are simple.
- No warranty
The H2OGO! Underwater Oasis Spray Pool is a safe and economical way to keep kids entertained outside during the summer. The included inflatable dolphin, which can be linked to your yard hose to squirt water, will delight them. The pool can store up to 555 gallons of water in total, and with a width of almost 8 feet, there’s plenty of area for many kids to splash around.
Parents will also like how simple it is to set up this pool: it takes less than 10 minutes to inflate, deflate, and store, allowing you to schedule playtime at any time. Furthermore, the 3-ply Tritech liner is puncture-resistant ensuring that this pool will serve you well for many seasons.
Intex Prism Frame Pool with Pump
- SUMMERTIME FUN: The Intex 10ft x 30in metal frame above ground pool set is engineered for strength and to help you beat the heat all summer long for ages 6 and up and fits up to 4 people
- DURABLE BUILD: The sturdy metal frame is powder coated for rust resistance and has super tough puncture-resistant 3-ply sidewalls that are reinforced with an innovative t-joint system that requires no pins
- EASY-SET-UP: An affordable and easy-to-set-up is ready for water in 45 minutes. The drain plug accepts a garden hose to drain water away from the pool area as desired.
- PRODUCT INFO: The Intex pool set comes with the pool, instructional DVD, filter pump, and filter. The capacity of the pool is 1,185 gallons (90%); Dimensions (L x W x H): 10 x 10 x 2.5 feet;
- DISCLAIMER: Please review your HOA rules and restrictions before purchasing this product. Not all housing agencies permit private above-ground pools
If you’re looking for a family pool at a reasonable price, Intex’s Prism Frame Pool could be the answer. The 10-foot-diameter pool includes a pump and can be set up in 30 minutes, allowing you to start filling it right away.
The pool is kept from collapsing by a steel frame, and you won’t have to worry about filling it with air, which is a feature we enjoy. The framing arrangement also reduces the risk of drowning from children leaning over the edge, which is a risk with inflatable pools. It’s a little shallow for some families at 30 inches high, but it’ll do for most kids.
- It includes a pump.
- The pool’s shape is maintained by a strong powder-coated frame.
- Setup is simple.
- For older children/adults, it’s a little shallow.
- It’s possible that the pump isn’t powerful enough to filter away daily dirt.
Why are above-ground pools preferrable?
The inexpensive cost of an above-ground pool is the primary reason for its installation. The expense of an above-ground pool is a fraction of that of an inground pool. This includes the expenditures of initial setup, maintenance, chemicals, and water, among other things. An inground pool may possibly be related with greater property tax rates. Many of the advantages of owning an inground pool are available with an above ground pool without breaking the budget.
Less water necessitates less upkeep. In comparison to inground pools, above-ground pools require significantly less care. They have fewer moving parts and are therefore easier to clean. When determining whether or not to buy an above-ground pool, many consumers consider the time savings.
Above-ground pools are quite versatile in a variety of ways. If necessary, they can be pulled down and relocated at any moment. They can be preserved during the winter months to avoid damage from the cold. Perhaps most crucially, you can take them with you when you sell your house and relocate.
One of the most crucial factors to consider when purchasing an above-ground pool is its size. While this should go without saying, ensure sure it not only fits in your yard, but also that it has at least a few feet of clearance on all sides. Before purchasing an above-ground pool, we recommend measuring your outside space several times. Rectangular and oval pools are the most common, with water capacities of up to 20,000 gallons depending on the type. If you’re low on space, a smaller round pool may be the best option.
Above-ground pools come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You have standard pools, which usually have steel or tear-resistant PVC walls that are supported by steel frames. Inflatable options are also available, which are typically composed of the same PVC material but do not have a steel frame. Inflatable pools are the most portable and cost-effective. You can also get a pool that is saltwater ready. This sort of above-ground pool includes a saltwater system (also known as a salt chlorinator) for obtaining the desired salinity, but you’ll have to supply your own salt.
Many above-ground pools come in sets, which include all of the components you’ll need to set up, use, and maintain your pool. A filter pump, a pool liner, a ground cloth, and a debris cover are frequently included. Slip-resistant ladders are also available in some of the larger pools. Above-ground pools with dual-suction exits are also available for simpler cleaning. Others have chemical dispensers built in, which eliminate the need for free-floating cleansers.
There are several various varieties of above ground pools available, each with varying levels of durability. The most basic inflatable pools are the weakest, followed by resin, steel, and aluminum. We would prefer to see some form of reinforcing structure, such as a steel frame, around an inflatable or resin pool. Each pool’s durability accounted for 40% of our total score.
Know your budget and work around it!
Because these enormous structures might be difficult to erect, clear instructions and simple but durable materials are essential to avoid frustration.
Regulations in your area
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, above-ground pools must meet the same safety regulations as in-ground pools in many regions. Swimming pool restrictions might range from safety fencing requirements to how close your pool can be to your property lines. In summary, local legislation may limit your ability to purchase and install the pool of your dreams.
Of course, if you only have a small patch of turf to work with, you won’t want to go for a circular pool. Other yard features, on the other hand, may limit where and how you can set up an above-ground pool.
You won’t want to put your pool on concrete, for example, because it would harm the bottom. At the same time, because chlorine can destroy plants, you won’t want to build a chlorinated pool right next to your garden area.
Furthermore, a heavier-duty pool, such as one with a steel frame, necessitates a little more preparation. You’ll need to prepare your yard so that the pool can be installed without dying grass, flooding your lawn, or resulting in an uneven installation.
Capacity and measurements
Because you want everyone to be able to join in on the summer fun, capacity is an important concern. However, measurements alone do not always provide you with the information you require. A ten-foot-diameter pool, for example, may appear large enough to accommodate a few adults.
However, depending on the aquatic activities you intend to engage in, such as anything other than floating, you may require additional space. If you’re searching for a pool for kids, you’ll want to make sure there’s plenty of room for swimming, floating, and splashing.
Small pools, such as wading pools for kids, are frequently low-maintenance. After all, at the end of the game, you can empty the pool. However, any pool that holds more than a few gallons of water will require constant maintenance to avoid algae growth.
Consider the pool’s size, water filtration and chemical treatment requirements, as well as any instruments that will make pool maintenance easier. The accessories you’ll need for most installations will include stuff like:
- Pump and filters to remove particles and aid in water circulation
- Chlorine tablets used to prevent bacteria and algae growth
- Shock treatment in case algae takes over before you have a chance to fight it off
- Test strips to measure pH, chlorine levels, and other chemical composition of the water
- A net, also known as a skimmer, to remove insects, leaves, and other debris from the pool.
- A cover if you want to keep the pool protected
Lighting, pool alarms for maximum safety, and access ladders can all help to make your summer more enjoyable. Furthermore, saltwater pools necessitate specialized equipment, such as a chlorine generator, which must be added to your shopping basket.
How do you put an above-ground pool together?
The type of above-ground pool determines how it should be installed. When installing typical pools with PVC walls and steel frames, however, there is a common procedure to follow.
- Start by laying down the ground cloth and setting the bottom plate on top after clearing a space and ensuring the ground is level.
- The metal rails should next be connected to the bottom plate and all the way around the perimeter.
- Then join the vertical side rails to the frame’s bottom section. Make sure you read the guidelines carefully because the different metal rods may appear to be the same but will not line up or connect properly if you use the incorrect ones.
- Install the liner onto the bottom plate and up the walls after that.
- Your pool should have a balanced shape when it’s finished, and the walls should all be the same height.
What is the best way to clean an above-ground pool?
Above-ground pools may often be cleaned with the same tools and methods as in-ground pools. A pool skimmer is a device that takes water from the pool’s surface and suctions it into the filter. A pool hose, which connects to your filter or pool vacuum and suctions out trash, is another alternative. You can also manually fish out leaves, bugs, dirt, and other detritus with a pool net.
What is the best way to drain an above-ground pool?
Begin by unrolling the pump’s input pipe as close to the center of your above-ground pool as feasible. Then direct the hose outlet toward a location where the water may be drained away from the pool without flooding your property. The pump should then be plugged into a nearby socket and turned on. Allow your pool to drain entirely before turning off the pump. Depending on the size of your pool, this could take several hours or more. Once you’ve turned off the pump, you should be good to go.
How much does it cost to maintain an above-ground pool?
Maintaining above-ground pools is not prohibitively expensive. Cleaning chemicals and filter replacements are the most expensive items. You’ll also need to consider certain upfront costs, such as purchasing a ladder, a pool cover, a pool skimmer and net, and other necessary pool accessories. You’ll also need an inflatable hot dog raft, as swimming without one is a recipe for summer misery.
Although saltwater pools are less expensive to maintain, you will still have to pay for salt. Furthermore, some above-ground models come with weak filter pumps, so upgrading to a more efficient pump is recommended. Overall, it’s still less expensive than a swimming pool or a country club membership.
What is the deepest available above-ground pool?
The Intex 36-Foot by 16-Foot by 52-Inch Above-Ground Pool is the deepest above-ground pool available. The four-foot depth may not appear to be much, but in the world of above-ground pools, deeper floors are hard to come by.
Specially designed above-ground pools with a depth of up to six feet are available, but exclusively from pool installation companies. When you reach so deep, you must ensure that the walls, liner, and supports are capable of withstanding the water pressure. Even with typical above-ground pools, manufacturers recommend only filling them to 90% full. This allows you to get in and swim without spilling buckets of water over the sides.
What is the average lifespan of an above-ground pool?
Above-ground pools are not indestructible. They’re just good for a few days of warm-weather fun. Even the best above-ground pool’s liners will last no more than five years. The liners can be replaced, but the pool structure, likethe supports and walls, is only supposed to last 15 years.
That’s a solid incentive to keep track of your spending. Even if a $700 pool is used for 15 years, the annual cost is only $50. Permanent, radiant above-ground pools with a sturdy wall erected around the perimeter have a longer life span, but they are more expensive to install.
The Intex Ultra XTR Pool Set is our top choice for above-ground pools. Intex is a dependable brand, and this moderately priced round pool is the ideal size for a medium-sized pool. A sand filter pump, ladder, ground cloth, and debris cover are all included. If you’re looking for a rectangle pool set, the Ultra XTR Rectangular Pool Set is a great choice. Happy shopping!
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API