Cornbread is a staple of Southern cuisine, and it’s the perfect complement to this chicken pie. Look no further if you’re looking for a recipe to impress your family or guests during the holiday season.
Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie is a main meal made with chicken, cheese, and salsa and baked in cornbread in the shape of a pie. Depending on the heat level of the salsa used and any extra hot sauces swirled in, it can be made mild or spicy.
Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal, white or yellow (can be self-rising or plain cornmeal)
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or cheddar)
Cornbread Pie Filling
- 1 small whole chicken cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (or favorite chicken parts in a similar amount – 3 to 4 cups)
- 1 jar salsa (14 ounces or similar)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or cheddar)
Cornbread Pie Topping
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Monterrey Jack or cheddar)
- 1 small can (4 oz) of black olives (optional)
- For the cornbread crust, stir the egg in water until well mixed.
- Mix cornmeal, flour, and baking powder and stir with water and egg.
- Add cheese and stir in with the batter.
- Spray a 9-inch pie pan (or similar sized casserole dish) with Pam non-stick cooking spray or grease pan.
- Pour ¾ of the batter in and save the last ¼ from going on top of the filling.
- Put cornbread crust aside and mix cornbread pie filling.
- Stir together chicken, salsa, and cheese and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pour chicken filling on top of the cornbread crust in the pan. Place in the center mostly and use a hand or a fork to spread the filling out evenly gently. The cornbread crust should slightly come up around the sides of the filling.
- Use the reserved ¼ cornbread crust batter to add a crust to the top. Put that in the center. It should not spread out to the sides of the pie plate. It just makes a circle in the center. Use a spoon to spread it and get a circle shape if desired.
- Bake, the Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until the top crust is lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheese and black olives if desired.
- Return the pie to the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Cut and serve in pie slices or squares if using a casserole dish.