Cornbread has long been a cornerstone of Southern cuisine, and this cornbread chicken pie recipe is no exception. With a delightful blend of flavors and textures, this dish is guaranteed to impress your family and guests during the holiday season or any time you crave a taste of the South.
Made with chicken, cheese, and salsa, this easy Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie can be tailored to your preferred spice level, making it a versatile addition to your recipe collection. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you step-by-step through the process of making this delicious and comforting meal.
Table of Contents
The Magic of Cornbread
Cornbread is a simple yet versatile dish that has been a staple of Southern cuisine for generations. The combination of cornmeal and flour creates a unique texture that is both tender and crispy, while the addition of cheese adds an extra layer of flavor.
In this recipe, the cornbread crust not only holds the filling together but also adds a delightful contrast to the savory chicken and salsa mixture. The result is a mouthwatering pie that’s as visually appealing as it is tasty.
Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie Recipe
- 1 cup cornmeal, white or yellow (can be self-rising or plain cornmeal)
- ½ cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or cheddar)
Cornbread Pie Filling
- 1 small whole chicken cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (or favorite chicken parts in a similar amount – 3 to 4 cups)
- 1 jar salsa (14 ounces or similar)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (Monterey Jack or cheddar)
Cornbread Pie Topping
- ½ cup shredded cheese (Monterrey Jack or cheddar)
- 1 small can (4 oz) of black olives (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare the cornbread crust by whisking the egg and water together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder. Combine the dry ingredients with the egg and water mixture, stirring until well incorporated. Add the shredded cheese and mix until combined.
- Grease a 9-inch pie pan (or a similar-sized casserole dish) with non-stick cooking spray or butter. Pour ¾ of the cornbread batter into the pan, reserving the remaining ¼ for the top crust. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the cornbread pie filling by combining the cooked chicken, salsa, and shredded cheese. Mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the chicken filling onto the cornbread crust, spreading it evenly and ensuring that the crust slightly comes up around the sides of the filling.
- Spoon the reserved ¼ cornbread batter onto the center of the pie, creating a small circle that does not extend to the edges of the dish. Use the back of a spoon to shape the circle if necessary.
- Bake the Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie for approximately 35 minutes, or until the top crust is lightly browned.
- Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese and black olives (if desired) on top.
- Return the pie to the oven for an additional 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Allow the pie to cool slightly before cutting into slices or squares, depending on the shape of your dish.
This easy Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie recipe offers a delicious and comforting twist on a classic Southern dish. With its combination of tender cornbread, savory chicken, and flavorful salsa, this pie is sure to become a family favorite. The versatility of this recipe allows you to customize the spice level and even add your preferred toppings, making it a fantastic addition to your culinary repertoire.
Serve this delightful pie alongside your favorite Southern sides, such as collard greens, black-eyed peas, or a simple green salad for a well-rounded and satisfying meal. Perfect for holidays, family gatherings, or a cozy weeknight dinner, this Southern Cornbread Chicken Pie is a dish you’ll find yourself coming back to time and time again.
So gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and get ready to bring a taste of the South to your table with this mouthwatering and easy-to-make recipe.