It is quite simple to learn how to prepare BBQ chicken on the barbecue. All that is needed is a grill, the chicken, and the sauce and seasoning components. Barbecued chicken, which may also be cooked in the oven (see the oven cooked BBQ chicken recipe here), has a different and pleasantly sweet flavor than fried chicken. Here’s a simple recipe for homemade grilled BBQ chicken:
Grilling Barbecue Chicken at Home
Grilled BBQ Chicken Recipe Ingredients
- 3 lbs chicken (any parts, such as wings, drumsticks, breasts, thighs)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (honey or brown sugar flavored sauces are best)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasonings, or grill seasonings, if desired
How to Cook BBQ Chicken on the Grill
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the BBQ sauce, ketchup, honey, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Whisk all of these ingredients around until they are thoroughly mixed and have an even consistency.
- Spray the rack of the grill with cooking spray. Then, turn the grill on to medium heat, and close the lid to allow the rack to heat up. Take a large plate or cookie sheet with the thawed chicken on it, along with the bowl with the sauce mix out to the grill (and also bring pepper and chicken seasonings).
- Either dip each piece of chicken in the sauce, and work it around to get an even coating, or brush the sauce onto each piece of chicken, and set each piece back on the plate or tray. When all of the pieces of chicken are covered with sauce, sprinkle pepper and seasonings over the chicken.
- After at least of few minutes of allowing the grill and rack to warm up, open the lid, and place the pieces of chicken on the grill, and close the lid. It might be necessary to turn down the grill if a direct flame is below any piece of chicken, as the chicken may catch on fire when the fatty grease begins to drip down. If this happens, move the piece, and blow the flame out.
- After about five minutes, turn each piece of chicken over, to expose the other side. At this point, a new coating of sauce may be applied to each piece, if desired (this will make the chicken sweeter). Continue to allow the grilling BBQ chicken to cook until it is done, and flip each piece every five minutes or so to ensure that each piece cooks evenly. Make sure to monitor the grill by listening for a loud sizzling sound, and opening the grill every so often to make sure that no pieces are ablaze.
How long should I cook my chicken?
Smaller pieces of chicken, such as wings and drumsticks, should cook in 10 to 15 minutes.
Larger parts, like as thighs and breasts, may take up to half an hour to cook, depending on size and heat intensity.
Larger pieces of barbecue chicken may need to be removed from the grill and cut into after some time to see if they are thoroughly cooked. If they aren’t, return them to the grill. If they start to char, move them away from the fire so that the heat alone can cook them.
When the chicken is done, remove it from the grill and let it aside for a few minutes before dishing and enjoying!
This recipe for homemade grilled barbecue chicken is only one of several. Other sauces can be used on the chicken, and experimenting with different portions and combinations of sauce ingredients is advised. The actual procedure of cooking BBQ chicken on the grill, on the other hand, is consistent.